strength training

Options
Why doesn't the strenght training on this site deduct any calories. Only calories deductied are for aerobic exercise. I want to lose more than 2 lbs. a week but can't figure out how to put that in my goal............please help...thanks

Replies

• ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    get an HRM and wear it will you strength train. It'll tell you how many calories you burned.
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options
    get an HRM and wear it will you strength train. It'll tell you how many calories you burned.

The HRM actually says calories burned or do you have to calculate it? It's been some time since I've had one and was wondering if they have really come that far.
  • bluedecor
    bluedecor Posts: 28
    Options
    Yes, I hear that. I would like the weight training to count as exercise.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I agree, I don't understand why calories aren't accounted for in strength training.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I create my own strength training exercises under cardiovascular so they count. While there are lots of good calorie calculators, I use http://www.acaloriecalculator.com/calories-burned-calculator/
  • TheWolf77
    TheWolf77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Getting a heart rate monitor is definitely the answer here. The reason there isn't a caloric count on strength is because everyone is drastically different when lifting. For example we can both pick up the same 10lb kettle bell and curl it 10 times. If you curl your kettle bell 10 times and it only takes you 20 seconds, and I curl it 10 times and I make it last 45 seconds, the rate at which you work combined with the weight as well as you physical stature is going to affect the number of beats your heart makes. So even though we lifted the same weight, the difference age/time/physical capacity will determine how many calories you burn compared to how many I burn.

A heart rate monitor will calculate it all for you and tell you how many you have burned, then you can input it manually.
    I hope this helps.
  • pmorrison101
    Options
    Yes it does and thank you very much:smile:
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The site does not apply calorie loss due to strength training because there are so many variables that hard to pinpoint exact burn. A persons form and technique can throw off calculation significantly. I agree a HRM would be best it is also ideal for cardio machines to give better calculation then the gym equipment.
  • ace175
    Options

The HRM actually says calories burned or do you have to calculate it? It's been some time since I've had one and was wondering if they have really come that far.

Mine actually says the calories burned from the time I started and stopped it.
  • DEE4560
    Options

Would you mind me asking what brand and style it is? I would really like to have one for work outs.
  • bluespring
    bluespring Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Strength training can be found under Cardio.
    You can log it there.
    :bigsmile:
    Oh, yeah...I use my HRM to tell the how many calories I burned and adjust the number accordingly.
  • ace175
    Options

Would you mind me asking what brand and style it is? I would really like to have one for work outs.

I have the Polar FT4, it has the watch and chest strap. I definitely recommend it! It gives your heart rate, and calories burned. I got this one over others because many people told me Polar is the best brand, and because I don't need a lot of the features other HRMs have. All I wanted to know was calories burned, and this does exactly that! I bought it from Best Buy (about 10 dollars cheaper than the Polar website)
  • DEE4560
    Options

I have the Polar FT4, it has the watch and chest strap. I definitely recommend it! It gives your heart rate, and calories burned. I got this one over others because many people told me Polar is the best brand, and because I don't need a lot of the features other HRMs have. All I wanted to know was calories burned, and this does exactly that! I bought it from Best Buy (about 10 dollars cheaper than the Polar website)
    Thank you, I appreicate it.