Bad knees

Options
Ok so I have been going to the gym for almost a month now and I have never gone to the gym before. I have been jogging a mile (among many other excersies) everyday and have noticed my knees really bothering me. Do I need to avoid the treadmill and do the bike?

Replies

• kris2600
    kris2600 Posts: 149
    Options
    Ok so I have been going to the gym for almost a month now and I have never gone to the gym before. I have been jogging a mile (among many other excersies) everyday and have noticed my knees really bothering me. Do I need to avoid the treadmill and do the bike?
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees and can not walk on the treadmill at all. I always use the elliptical, because it puts less strain on my knees. I would try that. It's the same type of exercise, just a little less stress on the knees.
  • kris2600
    kris2600 Posts: 149
    Options
    Great Thanks!!:smile:
  • jenifergotti
    jenifergotti Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My knees started hurting pretty bad when I worked out at first! I just took it easy on the treadmill and did the bike. The more I work out, the less my knees have hurt. It's been about 5 months and they are strong enough now that I don't worry about it. Keep going - it gets easier!
    Don't hurt yourself, that's the easiest way to give up! Do what you can.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Women are generally more prone to getting knee pain from higher impact workouts because of our body structures... so if you are feeling a pain from a certain activity, then don't do it. Jogging and running really aren't recommended for women, in general, though some do it just fine.

You may want to definitely sub in some low impact workouts just to save your knees from constant stress.
  • mdattarajan
    Options
    IMHO, your knee pain could be due to one of two things; (a) Shoes that do not provide enough support - if you think you'll be running on a regular basis, it may be worthwhile investing in a good pair of running shoes that can withstand the shock of running on a hard surface (in your case, a treadmill) or (b) You may not be stretching enough after running. I have had running related knee injuries that got worse because of skiing, but getting a good pair of running shoes, coupled with stretching should help you out significantly.