Vanity Sizing

Options
jen31889
jen31889 Posts: 121
Went to buy new pants today. I've been a 16 for most of my life. I knew they were big on me, but still assumed 14 would be a little tight. 14s were too big, and the 12s fit rather well. This should make me happy, right? It doesn't. I'm actually somewhat angry. I want to be able to say that I am the smallest that I have ever been in my life (which is likely true), but I can't because I feel that the 12s have been significantly vanity sized. >:-[

The 16s I used to wear, I feel like in years past would have been an 18/20, so now that I can wear a 12, I don't really feel like it is a success since it likely corresponds to like a 14/16 in years past. Because of vanity sizing, I can't verify that this is the smallest I've been. And I can't verify measurements, because I never measured myself until I started trying to lose weight.

What do you think about vanity sizing?

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Womens' clothing sizes annoy me in general. It's so arbitrary. Mens' trousers are based on a measurement - ours are just randomly selected based on what the manufacturer decides.

Frustrating.
  • Shawna0101
    Shawna0101 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Well I am in Canada and i don't think our sizing is the same. I saw someone on here say they were a 155lbs and 5'6 and bought a size 6. I am currently 142lbs and 5'5 and there is NO WAY I could fit into a 6, more like a 8-10, I think vanity sizing is ridiculous, why can't they just size stuff properly? Makes no sense.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I HATE vanity sizing! My Mom just cleaned out her attic and gave me my old girl scout uniform pants from high school. They were a 1970's size 16. That 16 was tiny compared to a 16 today! I also have clothes from a while ago--t shirts and tank tops and knit shorts. I have them in anything from an L to a 3X--AND THEY ALL FIT!!!! Take a look at my current weight and tell me if I should fit into an L in spandex workout shorts? No freakin' way! I KNOW its still a grande size. Sheese, when I get to a 12, I want to know its a 12! (btw, those stretchy shorts never leave the house--just to the basement to ride the execise bike--what a sight THAT would be!!)
  • clothes_of_sand
    Options
    Hm. That is sort of annoying, but I wouldn't worry about it. Instead I would focus on the fact that you're losing weight; I mean, you've lost so much that you've dropped 2 sizes :smile: That's way more important than whether you're the smallest you've ever been. And even if you aren't now, you're clearly getting there. If you're right about the way things have been vanity sized, then you'll only have to drop one more size anyways. And you got this far, so you can totally do that.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    haven't heard of it, and haven't really seen anything like it in the stores i shop at. honestly though, i don't look too much at the size. sizes vary from brand to brand, and even in one brand, style to style. sure it's nice to say 'oooh, i am wearing a size - right now" , but unless you are trying on the exact same jeans as what you were wearing, and it hasn't been long since you actually bought them, it's impossible to say if they are an exact replica just smaller.
  • lindstod
    lindstod Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    They have changed the sizes over the years! I have a size 10 pants from 1999 that I've been saving as my "I'll lose enough weight to get back into these someday!" pants. Eventually I lost enough weight that I was able to wear the majority of the size 10 pants I found at the store, but I couldn't get those 1999 pants zipped up!

I think it's best to judge success on how you feel rather than the size printed in your jeans since sizes can vary so much from store to store. And even in the same store! -- I just bought a pair of size 14 jeans that are almost too loose and the same style/size jeans in a darker wash were too small to zip up. Frustrating.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. In high school I weighed about 130 and wore a size 13/14. Fast forward 30+ years and my pre-MFP was 175-180 and I wore a size 13/14?????

How much progress does getting down to an 11/12 or 9/10 really represent?

I think women's sizes should represent something and be verifiable like in men's clothes a size 32 means a 32" waist.
  • glendadykstra
    Options
    So far to me, I don't care what the size says. I want to know what I look like from week to week. That full length mirror will be uncovered once a week. If I can tell a difference, then I will be happy . :) Or maybe I will make it ever few weeks. Sizes don't mean much. I wear a 16.. in one brand.. and 18 in another and a womans 16 in another.
  • bethm1210
    bethm1210 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree - sizes vary by manufacturer and even by style for the same designer. I have been looking for a dress for my daughter's wedding, and have found dresses that fit in every size from an 8 to a 14. I know that in most styles I'm not a 14 - that's what I wore 23 pounds ago - but as much as I want to be an 8, I'm really not quite there for most things, either. My advice is that if you know you've lost either pounds or inches, and the clothing fits well, don't stress over the size. Nobody else can see the tag :)