Hoarding calories for dinner?

Options
Is there any reason I shouldn't eat only 300 calories during breakfast and lunch and then go "crazy" at dinner eating my remaining 900 plus exercise calories? I don't feel bad during the day when I do this and it's nice to be able to eat in the evenings what the rest of my family does... Pasta with meatballs or save calories for banana split. Probably wouldn't do it every day, but its very easyfor me to get by with fat free yogurt and fresh veggies on work days.

What has your experience been?

Replies

• southtaski27
    Options
    I think we've all done it, but it is actually best to consume fewer calories at night, and more earlier in the day. (Not that I actually do that mind you)
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I normally eat a steady amount thro the day but once in a while I will hoard for dinner
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options
    From the nutritional research I have read it makes little difference when you eat your calories. In fact the general thinking of 6 small meals a day to keep your blood sugar down has the exact opposite effect, instead keeping your blood sugar at a higher level. They have done studies with pretty much every combination from 1 meal a day to I think 9. In terms of weight loss, it made no significant difference. In fact the one meal a day group lost weight on maintenance level calories, not because of the one meal a day, but because it is so hard to eat all your calories to maintain your weight in one meal. If you want to do it, go for it.
  • clothes_of_sand
    Options
    I've heard that it doesn't matter when you consume your calories. Honestly, I would just go by whatever works for you. If you feel fine doing this and your weight loss doesn't suffer for it, then do it. That's how I stayed skinny(ish) when I was in high school. Just don't go TOO crazy at dinner, and try to keep healthy choices in mind :)
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    I think it would be ok if you give yourself time before bed to allow those calories to "burn." If that makes sense. Don't eat and then sleep. I actually *just* read in a magazine that you should give yourself 3 hours before going to bed after eating a bunch of carbs. But if you are losing weight and are feeling satisfied during the day then keep doing what works for *you*. Everyone is different, and everyone's body reacts differently. Best of luck to you :)
  • evandmegsmom
    evandmegsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the "right" thing is, but my experience is that I have lost 23 lbs. in 8 weeks by eating 200 cals for breakfast, 200 for lunch, and my remaining 840 for dinner and snacks. Something's working, but I don't know if it's "proper" or not. :wink:
  • deal4321
    deal4321 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know I've done that before. If I know I'm gonna be eatting something for dinner that is going to be high in calories then I eat less for breakfast and lunch so I don't hafta scrimp on dinner.
  • nstorlie
    nstorlie Posts: 8
    Options
    Oh thank you all! I was afraid my body would think "starvation" all day long and hang onto my dinner. I am eating more healthf dinners than ever, but I like to have the option between dessert or a second helping of steak.
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY DO THIS TOO! I try to keep around 900-1000 calories for the end of the day because i am a snack-a-holic and i just can't help myself when i'm home from work!
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Yep I do the same thing. I also workout at 8 pm.
  • nitequeen427
    Options
    I did the same thing tonight... i have found that i get hungry during the work week and i eat snacks. Today i had less and no snack cause i stayed busy so i had a large salad with a spoonful here and there of other salads and still was low on my cals but went over a little on the fat.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i've read from various sources that it's better to spread out calories throughout the day, because the body can only process so much energy at one time. here's an example of such an article:

http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/can-i-eat-all-my-calories-for-the-day-in-one-meal-and-still-lose-weight-649.html

it's just one opinion tho, and i'm sure there are differing opinions by other experts! :)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Oh thank you all! I was afraid my body would think "starvation" all day long and hang onto my dinner. I am eating more healthf dinners than ever, but I like to have the option between dessert or a second helping of steak.

It takes a while before your body will go into *starvation mode*
    Also I heard that if you are good about eating "regularly" you body sort of figures out when to expect what and how much.

I'll admit I do this too. I'm afraid of eating all my calories and being hungry at the end of the day. I tell you it's a down right phobia.
    I figure if it relieves stress rather than create it I'm more likely to stick with the program.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    i've read from various sources that it's better to spread out calories throughout the day, because the body can only process so much energy at one time. here's an example of such an article:

http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/can-i-eat-all-my-calories-for-the-day-in-one-meal-and-still-lose-weight-649.html

it's just one opinion tho, and i'm sure there are differing opinions by other experts! :)

I've heard this too. Specifically with protein - apparently your body can't handle more than 25g at one time. Same with sugar (though I forget the exact number - either 20 or 40g).
  • RatBoyGL
    RatBoyGL Posts: 100
    Options
    Well, I have been doing MFP since January 26. (53 days total.)

I have lost 18 pounds in that time. (More than 2 a week.)

I hoard every day pretty much for the exact reason you say.

Now, it may be having other negative effects on me that I don't know about and I admit that.

But as far as weight loss, I don't think it isn't impacting it at all because what I am doing is working for me.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options

I've heard this too. Specifically with protein - apparently your body can't handle more than 25g at one time. Same with sugar (though I forget the exact number - either 20 or 40g).

It has nothing to do with opinion, it has to do with the hard research that has been done. Even the 25g of protein thing is incorrect, or better yet, a complete misinterpretation of the research that followed the digestion of protein over time and at the end of their chosen time that was the number, but the body was still digesting the protein. I could find that information if I really need to.

As for the meal spacing here is what I have found,

There are several studies done recently on meal timing and all of them point to the same thing, when you eat does not matter. They did everything from one meal a day to several meals a day. In 2007 Stote et al in the A Journal of Clinical Nutrition did a study of people half the group eating one meal a day (dinner in early evening). The other half did three meals a day. After the test time they let the whole group eat as they normally would for 11 weeks to normalize their eating pattern, then the switch the groups around. The study time was 8 weeks, and they were eating enough to maintain their body weight. The results, 3 meals a day no change in weight. 1 meal a day lost 3 pounds and an average of 4.6 pounds of fat (probably because it is difficult to eat all your calories in one meal). That is not old science, it is recent. When you eat makes no difference. See also Smeets et al British Journal of Nutrition 2008 finding no metabolic rate change between 2 or 3 meals a day; and Farshchi et al Am Jrnl of Clinical Nutrition 2005 using 3, 6 or 9 meals a day again finding no change in metabolic rate.

The multiple meals a day may help you feel more satisfied, it may, but it will do nothing to significantly increase your calorie burning. I believe the numbers for calories burned for 100 calories of protein is like 10. You would be better off not eating that rather than thinking eating something will help you lose weight.

As Parks et al say in their article in the Am Jrnl of Clinical Nutrition, "Simply put, the question of whether there is a health benefit from the consumption of multiple small meals will ultimately depend on how much energy is consumed, as opposed to how often or how regularly one eats."

Add to that the recent study on blood sugar changes between frequent small meals and 3 bigger meals showing that 3 bigger meals controlled blood sugar levels better than frequent small meals (find and excellent summary at http://www.leangains.com/2011/01/better-blood-glucose-with-lower-meal.html ) and the article abstract here http://www.e-spenjournal.org/article/S1751-4991(10)00054-5/abstract

This is peer reviewed study and is not really something up for opinion. If someone can disprove the science in these, or show horrible errors in method then maybe they are all wrong, but at this point the research is showing even though many, in fact I would say the majority, suggest frequent small meals, the reality is it really doesn't generally matter. There may be some for whom it does, but they would be the exception. The real concern is calories consumed versus calories burned and maintaining a reasonable deficit.
  • RatBoyGL
    RatBoyGL Posts: 100
    Options
    The real concern is calories consumed versus calories burned and maintaining a reasonable deficit.

Preach it!!!