Following the Ideal Protein Program?

Options
Hi, I just wanted to see if anyone else was following the Ideal Protein program. I did a search to see if it was in any conversations and the only ones I was able to find were not overly positive. :-) At my 4th weigh in I was down a total of 13.4 lbs and 13 inches.

Replies

• teasha43
    teasha43 Posts: 101
    Options
    I am on a higher protein diet...I feel better on it. It seems to be helpful with underactive thyro..keeps me more full, less sore, and curbs cravings for me. What is the ideal protein diet? I have not heard that before.
  • Jewels09
    Jewels09 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's considered a "ketogenic diet", it's low carb, but not considered high protein. You get the minimum daily protein requirements each day, (roughly 1/2 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight). You are forcing your body to use your fat as it's fuel source. So you are always in the ketosis state. The program has 3 different phases, I'm in phase 1, which is where I will stay until I get to 90% of my weight loss goal. I started out with needed to lose 60 lbs. 4 weeks into the program I am down 13.4 lbs and over 13 inches. Once you get to your 90% mark, you enter the next phases which is where more carbs are brought in, foods like the low carb breads and vegetables that have higher glycemic index numbers.

You do have to go though a clinic to get your food products, and some people find the program to be too expensive, for me personally, the money is worth it since I'm seeing the results.
  • teasha43
    teasha43 Posts: 101
    Options
    This sounds quite a bit like South Beach? Yes?
  • Calidaho
    Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Sounds like what my nutritionist has suggested. Protein shake for breakfast, string cheese for morning snack. 2-3oz turkey on a sandwich thin (like having one slice of bread) and vegetable soup or salad. Greek yogurt or nuts with fruit for afternoon snack (although, I have been eating an under 200 calorie protein bar because I can keep it in my purse to eat between meetings). Dinner is 3-4 oz of lean protein, 200 calories of starch and lots of veggies.

I am at 1400 calories a day (I am 6' tall so I get a few more calories than my shorter friends). I can't believe how satisfied I am with this program. I seriously get full at every meal now.

I go back to my nutritionist in a couple of weeks to see if i am losing fat or muscle--the doctor has a cool scale that you hold onto sensors and stand barefoot on other sensors and it shows your actual fat/muscle content as well as metabolism.

Good luck!
  • Jewels09
    Options
    Sounds like what my nutritionist has suggested. Protein shake for breakfast, string cheese for morning snack. 2-3oz turkey on a sandwich thin (like having one slice of bread) and vegetable soup or salad. Greek yogurt or nuts with fruit for afternoon snack (although, I have been eating an under 200 calorie protein bar because I can keep it in my purse to eat between meetings). Dinner is 3-4 oz of lean protein, 200 calories of starch and lots of veggies.

I am at 1400 calories a day (I am 6' tall so I get a few more calories than my shorter friends). I can't believe how satisfied I am with this program. I seriously get full at every meal now.

I go back to my nutritionist in a couple of weeks to see if i am losing fat or muscle--the doctor has a cool scale that you hold onto sensors and stand barefoot on other sensors and it shows your actual fat/muscle content as well as metabolism.

~ my coach has the same type of scale. I have to weight in and get measured each week. There is nothing better than seeing your numbers change. Well, the clothes getting too big is pretty great too. Your program sounds a bit different but as long as you are getting healthy result and feel good. My program focused on gaining muscle and preventing the lose. Loading muscle means your body is using that for energy instead of the fat. It's a fine line though.

Good luck!
  • Jewels09
    Options
    This sounds quite a bit like South Beach? Yes?

~ it's pretty specific. I get protein packets that I use for my breakfast, lunch, and snack. Each packet has at least 18 grams of lean protein. I haven't personally looked into the south beach diet, but do have a friend who has lost weight with it. I can't eat what she does and stay on program. But when I go into a maintenance stage I'll be eating similar to her. :)
  • Zita_Jenn
    Zita_Jenn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I just started the Program. I am hoping for it to work for me. Today is my first day :smile: