Always over on the sugar count - Any suggestions please

Options
Hi There, I've been a member om MFP for a week now, it' great isn't it. I'm finding that I am managing to reach my 1200 days calories limit, but am always coming up over in sugars. So surprised re some of the sugars in fruit for e.g. Will good sugars if you can call it that hinder my weight loss chances? Does anyone have some advice I can maybe try out? Thanks in advance

Replies

• sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    In my opinion the sugar allowance on MFP is very low, lower than the recommended daily amount. I often go over on sugars but it's mainly doe to fruit. My personal rule is that if it's mainly fruit sugars, I don't worry about it but if it's mainly processed sugars then I need to cut down.
  • xomakaxo
    xomakaxo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look like your food diary is public, and that would be helpful... Most fruits and juices have lots of sugars. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I also wouldn't chug daily milkshakes or anything. If you stay under or at your calorie goal you should be fine, but if you're eating mostly fruit, add some veggies in their place, or have a variety of fruits to see which ones have less sugar. It could be that you're eating lots of something that is packed with sugars.
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have rarely been under on my sugar, HOWEVER, it is mostly due to naturally occurring fruit sugars. If you are dumping sugar on something or in something, and that is causing you to be over, I wouldn't really worry about it.

I add a teaspoon of sugar to my cereal in the morning, but that's because without it, it just tastes like I'm trying to eat hay... lol

That being said, it depends on how MUCH you are over. I mean, if it's a couple points over, then I wouldn't really worry about it. If it's WAY over, then I would try to cut back a bit. Again, I'm talking about granulated, processed sugar, not so much naturally occurring sugar.

I haven't had too much issue with mine... there are days were I'll be sitting at 100 points over because I chose to get a smoothie, but at least it's over because of fruit, and not chocolate :)

My belief on this is if it is natural and unprocessed, it's probably better for you than processed, refined, ("dead") sugar.

Good luck!
  • Tiberg13
    Tiberg13 Posts: 11
    Options
    Definitely the fruit. I decided to ignore fruit & juices sugars, I only check myself on other sources of sugar (1/2 tsp in my coffee now v 2 sugars before) and provided I'm on track calorie wise and my non fruit sugar is low then I'm happy.....
  • missbartho
    Options
    I agree with Sunshine79, the sugar allowance is very low, but if you eat a lot of fruit and low fat yoghurt there is a lot of sugar in it and your sugar will be over very fast.
    Mine is always over and im still managing to loose weight, so i dont think you should worry to much about it
  • Magsaji
    Magsaji Posts: 2
    Options
    Thxs all.