The Perfect Snack?

Options
Tiberg13
Tiberg13 Posts: 11
I'm sure many of you will understand the feeling I'm getting around this time of day; I had a 'healthy' breakfast and I have ingredients for a 'healthy' lunch, but of course it's far too soon to eat lunch - and yet I'm hungry!!

My question to those seasoned mfp users out there - what do you snack on?

It seems to me the ideal snack will be portable (I may need to take to the office), low cal, nutritional value add and satisfying..... Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance and good luck with your goals.......

Replies

• jvcocca
    jvcocca Posts: 2
    Options
  • jvcocca
    jvcocca Posts: 2
    Options
    A granola bar or piece of fruit always works for me
  • EmmaRankmore
    Options
    I make my own bruschetta mix with tomatoes, vinegar/soy sauce, dried basil flakes and some pepper, and put it on corn cruskits with a tiny spread of low fat cream cheese on them. Only about 100 calories for 2. :)
  • rhayesNH
    rhayesNH Posts: 12
    Options
    I am still kind of trying to figure it out myself. I often will have half a serving of raw almonds (14 for 70 calories). These seem to help stop the stomach grumbles. Sugar snap peas are yummy, have a nice crunch, low calories and sweet. Mozzarella cheese sticks are handy too.

Good luck!
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    I do Protein bars about 1:00 seems to help alot.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I keep a bag of snap peas and carrots in the fridge at work to munch on during the day. I also keep packs of almonds handy. If I am way under my calories, I will opt for apple slices with organic peanut butter.
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I like celery with peanutbutter. Helps with the veggies and protien, and sweet tooth. A sliced granny smith apple is alwasy a good one for me. I slice it thin so there is "more" apple to eat. I am also a fan of the cheese sticks... a tasty quick protien boost to get ya through the morning. If you need a grab and go kind of thing for breakfast, try the quaker oatmeal to go, they are filling and taste good, even better if ya though em in the micro for 10 siconds. Hope this helps!!
  • speednut
    speednut Posts: 82
    Options
    I love oranges. Sargento low fat string cheese (50 calories). Also I eat celery sticks dipped in homemade salsa.
  • jgover
    jgover Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I pretty much have the same snacks every day in rotation: Pretzel sticks or celery sticks with hummus, whole grain toast with avocado and sea salt, or salt free rice cake with almond butter.
  • ShoeDeahva
    ShoeDeahva Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I like almonds for crunch and protein. I also like Special K crackers--1/2 serving with 1 wedge of herb and garlic laughing cow light swiss cheese :80 calories. For my sweet tooth I like Quaker Chocolate Rice cakes with whole grain as they fill me up and indulge my sweet tooth. Popcorn is another fav.
  • Sissy4EverX3
    Options
    I also work in an office and am guilty of getting the 10am hunger pains.. it can be frustrating. I've learned to buy some of those snack sized cans of mandarin oranges and put them in the fridge in the breakroom. I also take a Quaker chocolate covered granola bar and snack on it throughout the morning. It's 190 cals, but combined with my water, it's a great snack.
  • sheepanda
    Options
    cutie clementines are a great snack. i also like to buy loose carrots and celery, chop em up in the beginning of the week -- cheaper than buying baby carrots or precut. i like eating it with homemade hummus, or guacamole.

granola and yogurt is always a good snack. and if you want something crunchy and salty, try baking some garbanzo beans with a seasoning of your choice -- cajun seasoning is really good. the perfect healthy crunchy little snack!

oh. and i love hardboiled eggs. =]
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is my go to snack. The little mini cups are about 35 calories each so I can eat a few at a time without going overboard on calories, sweet that it feels like a treat and satisfies my immediate hunger :)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Yogurt with berries, a protein shake, cantaloupe, a muffin top, or a bar of some kind :)
  • fishndad
    fishndad Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Depending on your exercize program, a peanut butter sandwich & fruit. Otherwise I do like some others, string cheese, peanut butter on apples, nuts, any protien with fruit.
  • turkeydawg
    turkeydawg Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't have access to a refrigerator at work - and am not always in my office - so my snacks have a different set of criteria:
    1. Non-refrigerated
    2. Highly portable
    3. Good for me
    4. Low Cal
    5. Crunchy
    6. a little bit salty

One of the things I have settled on is..........these little suckers!
    http://www.anniechun.com/our-food/seaweed-snacks/sesame

Some people can't break through the *seaweed* barrier....but...I am not most people ~ I will give any food an honest try ~ and I find that I crave these seaweed snacks. REALLY helps curb my potato chip appetite.

They weigh next to nothing - the whole package is only 60 cal, and they are filling! The seaweed apsorbs liquid in the stomach and I feel full. It has been a great help for the in-between-meals food craving.

Hope this helps!

t/d
  • stevenbauer
    Options
    supreme protein makes a good protein bar that is carb conscious. The ones with the orange wrapper are my favorite. I like to take those into work and dip them in peanut butter (naturally more), and it knocks out the craving for a few hours. If you still need more calories, I usually eat a cheese stick, a yogurt, or a 1.5 cups of milk with it.
    Titan also makes high protein cookies. I have had the chocolate chip and the oatmeal raisin, and i was really impressed with both. It doesnt need to be refridgerated and has great taste. If you want to be like a kid, i usually have it with a glass of milk at work. The cookies and milk will give you about 30 g protein.
    The protein bars are the smaller version i use, and will run you about $1.89 at the store. The protein cookies are about $2.29 for two cookies. Best of luck.
  • soniams
    soniams Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I like a Wasa crisp bread topped with a slice of cheese. Ralphs grocery has a line of deli thin slice cheeses each one about 80 calories. With the crisp bread total caloreis is 120.
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    1/2 serving of almonds - found "blazin' buffalo wing" flavor and they're awesome!
    low fat cheese sticks
    Wasa w/laughing cow wedge
    glass of milk

As you can see, I'm big on protein snacks!
  • Dottie27
    Dottie27 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I keep graham crackers in my desk for snacks. If I am organized, I'll pack apple slices or 1/4 C Multi-Grain Cheerios mixed with 1 T chocolate chips.