Should you reward with food???

Options
I just received my acceptance letter into the RN program which I start in august and only have two more semesters and I'm finished YAY!!! I am going out to lunch with my family to my favorite restaurant...an indian place about a half hour away. We are going to a great buffet...probably extremely americanized but hey, I am wondering if it is wrong to reward myself with food, since I am trying to lose weight? I know that when I go to this restaurant it will be extremely hard to hold myself back. What to do? Can I just eat what I want for one meal and not feel guilty?

Replies

• WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    If it were me I would get in a good workout out and eat what I want within reason. Everyone is entitled to have a higher calorie day. Calling it a reward sometimes gets peoples feathers ruffled but as long as it doesn't cause you to stray I say CONGRATS and enjoy.
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    congratulations! you can reward yourself....maybe do a little more exercise than you normally do?
  • nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    Options
    OK, from the sounds of it, you want to go to the restaurant? Maybe preplan, and take a walk prior to going, and maybe another in the evening.

And congrats on the acceptance, i know i was happy when i received my acceptance to my RN program, and i did celebrate with food, and maybe a few beverages :)
  • tmeccles
    tmeccles Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ashley,
    While I try not to use food as a reward, there is nothing wrong with giving yourself permission to go out with your family and have a good time at the restaurant. I have found that I usually do overeat when I go to buffet, but I still try to make healthier choices with the food I put on my plate.
    Good luck and congratulations!
  • niki30
    niki30 Posts: 40
    Options
    Everything is good in moderation. If you tell your self its bad to eat the food you want, you will feel guilty for eating it. If you allow your self to eat what you want, (not gorging) you will not only not feel guilty but really happy :) I think alot of time we need to stop telling ourself that a certain food is bad. If we do that then we have the guilty feeling every time we eat that " forbidden food " Let your self have that one indulgence every once in a while. :)
  • Aylilth
    Aylilth Posts: 125
    Options
    I say go for it!!!

One day will not hurt ya and I think it's always good to keep the body guessing. Mixing it up a bit.

You did well so celebrate, you'll notice that a lot of things around the world when ppl celebrate it's always around food. So don't let losing weight stop you from enjoying those times.

As I said it's 1 day, just continue with your journey the next day.
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    OK, from the sounds of it, you want to go to the restaurant? Maybe preplan, and take a walk prior to going, and maybe another in the evening.

And congrats on the acceptance, i know i was happy when i received my acceptance to my RN program, and i did celebrate with food, and maybe a few beverages :)

Yea I'm celebrating with a few beverages next weekend and will have to preplan that one :)
  • Dottie27
    Dottie27 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Some tips successful weight loss people gave me: Plan ahead to include your favorites, go easy on the rest. No refills, eat slowly so you'll still be eating when others get their second platefuls. Try to include some lighter fare so you feel full. Sip a lot of water. It's helpful to remember the celebration is about sharing time with people, not just food.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I can understand the logic behind not treating food as a reward but in reality it doesnt hold up. A reward it treating yourself to something nice, if that happens to be a meal out so be it. Someone may want a pair of shoes they saw on Victoria Beckham/ Eva Longoria etc thats fine too but be sure you're not developing a shopping addiction (meal would be cheaper!)

I was chastised for saying I was going for my YEARLY subway when I got to goal...have a spa day instead. Yeah right, lets not consume calories but its fine to use a weeks grocery money on pampering...NOT IN MY WORLD!
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I can understand the logic behind not treating food as a reward but in reality it doesnt hold up. A reward it treating yourself to something nice, if that happens to be a meal out so be it. Someone may want a pair of shoes they saw on Victoria Beckham/ Eva Longoria etc thats fine too but be sure you're not developing a shopping addiction (meal would be cheaper!)

I was chastised for saying I was going for my YEARLY subway when I got to goal...have a spa day instead. Yeah right, lets not consume calories but its fine to use a weeks grocery money on pampering...NOT IN MY WORLD!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about the expenses of rewards :) I have been raised with rewards of variety, not just food...so I shall go...and work my buns off running today
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Congrats and enjoy!