Vibration Plate Machines

Options
At the Gym on the site of our seaside getaway, they've just invested in a vibration plate machine, which they allege every 10 minutes on there is the equivilant to 1 hour. Has anyone got any experience with these machines, or any ideas of the sort of calories burnt whilst using them?

I understand they are more for toning purposes, and I'm not thinking of substituting it for my daily jog. Just wondered if it'd be worthwhile using it in addition?

Thanks in advance.

Craig :)

Replies

• laurenlei
    laurenlei Posts: 96
    Options
    I haven't used them, but i know people that have. If you actually exercise on them (and not just stand there!) they are meant to be brilliant! Apparently you come off aching so much more than an hour workout!!!

Im thinking of using them once i have lost a little more weight, everything i have heard about them from people that have used them has been positive! But yes, i wouldn't substitute a daily run for them, id use them as a top up
  • Craigcf
    Craigcf Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lauren, I'll see how I get on with it!
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've tried a couple, but only once so I didn't notice long-lasting results. They were fun, at least :) Something different to try. Good luck, keep us posted with any results!
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    I did a 20 minute class on a Powerplate and ached as much as after a 45 minute Body Pump class! They can be boring but are great for toning.
  • fifibox
    fifibox Posts: 69
    Options
    Hey Champ
    I feel well qualified to comment on your question :-) We got one in January and I've been using it 20 minutes every day even though they recomend only 10 minutes 3 days a week and I've lost no weight, I don't feel more toned either. What I do believe it would do though is speed up your metabolism if your anythng like me and not a morning person so never work out in the morning, you can just wake up and jump on it for your 10 and your metabolism would have sped up a few hours early then without it.
    It's good for massage.
    It can't be a bad thing to use just for the hec of it but for real results I wouldn't bother with it.
    Also the main thing you have to check is that you get the original one (like the one offf the tv) cos the ones in most of the shopping centres are poorer quality and don't have the same voltage or somethng therefore not causing the same amount of muscle contraction needed to produce their claimed results.
    Hope this makes sense and helps, ask me more if you want :-) Fi
  • Craigcf
    Options
    Cheers all,

I'll give it a try tomorrow!

:)
  • Craigcf
    Options
    I was quite impressed on the whole. I agree with other peoples suggestions that it is only beneficial if you excercise whilst on it, as I really don't see it doing a deal as you are stood stationary. Squats and press ups on it are intense though :-S