Lowering Goals

Options
Hi! I was wondering something. I feel like im hitting a wall and sad that my loss isnt as great as i wish it was i want my lil ticker to fly to the other end LOL. So i was thinking of lowering my goal to one of my personal mini goals all in all i want to loose another 70-75 lbs. i have lost 20. I by lowering it i dont mean anything drastic by lowering it loose another 10 lbs no i was thinking dropping it by 20-25 lbs and then when i get closer raise it up. Does that make sense? I just wanted to get some opinions. If yall do not mind. Please dont judge me. Its just a ?..

Replies

• 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    There is no right or wrong answer to your question. Do whatever is going to help keep you motivated. Some people like mini-goals, others don't. What do you think will help you the most? . :flowerforyou:
  • crazymgpilot
    crazymgpilot Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think that it is not a good idea to change your goals, if the end goal is really what you want. But, what I would do is change my interim goals. Check the timeline on your goal. Now that you've been doing this for a little while you know what your body is doing, and don't be afraid to change up your routine if you feel like you've hit a wall, and you can adjust the timeline. Sometimes we initially assume or desire a goal, but our timeline is off so we get discouraged about it. Slow and steady is a good pace to KEEP the weight off once you get to your goal weight. If you set some interim goals, like the 20-25 lbs to lose, don't make that hte final goal, make that the interim goal that you can track and as you get close you can adjust. The thing with goals is too often we want the stars but only shoot for a little ways off because we tell ourselves we can't do it. But, it never hurts to dream the seemingly impossible, because when we work towards a dream goal and accomplish little goals along the way, suddenly we find our "impossible" goal is now in reach. Keep up the good work and I'd recommend as I started saying don't lower your goal, just set some interim goals!
  • josborn1012
    Options
    Maybe you should just add another ticker?
  • indigochilds
    indigochilds Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think it's a wonderful idea. I was thinking about doing the same thing too. I need to lose about 35 lbs more. Instead of looking at 35 lbs lost. I'm going to look at focusing only 5 lbs. I've heard from those who loose a lot of weight that its easier when you focus on a small number than a big number. Prevents you from getting overwhelmed easily.

Another option is. Maybe instead of saying 75 to go. Change it to how much have you lost. So it will be a constant reminder that. You can do it. Because loosing 20lbs is an amazing feat.

But at the end of the day. It's all about what burns your soul and keeps you moving :3
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    this is the exact reason i have my mini goal ticker, i see that move, towards the end so i can see something happening! :)
  • SammieGetsFit
    SammieGetsFit Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking along the lines of the others. If the ticker is discouraging, kick that thing for the time being. Or change it. Also, setting mini-goals is a GREAT way to focus more on the present and keep from being discouraged. The ones I have on my signature aren't really "mini" they're like "mid". I have much smaller goals daily (go to the darn gym, Sam, and don't touch those chips or cookies!) that I celebrate daily when met (a pat on the back and sense of pride) and weekly (lose something, be it pounds or inches) and even the "round numbers" goal, which is what my first mini-goal is based on (i.e. Go from 246.6 to 240 or less; go from that to 235, etc.)

That's what helps me. Maybe some of it can be twisted to suit your personality/lifestyle. I think that's the biggest lesson I'm trying to absorb right now (being a beginner), "FOCUS ON YOU. What works for Tom, Sarah, or Michelle may not work for you. Listen to your body and try a little harder each day."

I think we all too often lose sight of the fact that even if we aren't losing anything, as long as we're honestly living a healthier lifestyle our body is better off. THAT'S something to be proud of.

Keep up the good work!! And keep reaching out when your feel discouraged. :D
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I put a goal on, but then stopped looking at the goal. Once I started looking at each day only I did a lot better. It's overwelming and doesn't seem possible when you see all those numbers ahead of you. So break it down to smaller pieces. Day by day, or 5-10 lb goals. Plan a reward like a new jacket. Also take a picture every 10 lbs! Put them side by side and you will have a lot of motivation!!!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Another thought. I like to be rewarded more than I like to think I have more to do. Celebrate your losses instead of putting all your weight loss ahead of you. How about putting your ticker to say how many pounds you lost = celebrate your good hard work! Instead of seeing that you are no where near half way there, you can be happy that you ARE making progress with each pound loss. It's one pound at a time. Also inches. DO put in all your inches and add more so you can compare each month for the times you don't lose, but do lose inches.