Raisins?? Healthy??

Options
So raisins are suppose to be healthy? However, when I have just a serving it takes my sugar over! So do I just need to stay away from them?

Replies

• JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit is always high in sugar, they are healthy..but maybe fresh fruit is a better choice.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit is always high in sugar, they are healthy..but maybe fresh fruit is a better choice.
    agreed.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Grapes are really sugary - I have a diabetic friend and he cant have them at all!

I guess they are healthy in moderation?
  • southern04
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, I think I will just stay away from the dried fruit. Maybe, some every once in a while.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    yeah, I thought they would be too... there's just nothing to them though. they're carbs and fructose. I don't think fiber even shows up with them. :-( I'm sure a much better choice than a couple of cookies if you're looking for something sweet; better for oatmeal than sugar, etc - but other than stuff like that, they don't have much to offer nutritionally. They aren't BAD either... they're kind of neutral except high in cals.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit isn't bad for you unless you were going to eat a bag every single day. If you were going to choose between dried fruit and skittles - clearly fruit would be the better option.
    That, to me, is really the point of dried fruit - something sweet to snack on when you're craving something sweet.
    It does in fact carry fiber and protein and has hardly any sodium, no fat, no cholesterol and a lot of potassium.
    I can think of a LOT of other things you shouldn't be eating.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Being a diabetic, raisins are SUPER high in sugar. Most dried fruits are and they have less fiber that eating a fresh fruit.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,242 Member
    Options
    I love raisens and grapes but due to high sugar I only eat occasionally and in moderation. I like raisens in my oatmeal once in awhile or on celery with peanut butter. Grapes-I usually eat only 1/2 a serving. Dried apricots are my weakness and hard not to overeat if available. Again these are all healthier than binging on candy but moderation or occasional treat is the key.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Being a diabetic, raisins are SUPER high in sugar. Most dried fruits are and they have less fiber that eating a fresh fruit.

How would they have less fiber, dehydrating them only removes the water from it. Just curious. Fresh fruit is always better in my opinion simply because you do also get the water from the fruit too.
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    So raisins are suppose to be healthy? However, when I have just a serving it takes my sugar over! So do I just need to stay away from them?

Stay away from fruit all together if possible. It all has sugar in it, yes it is natural sugar. Just cause its natural doesnt mean its good for you.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If I'm eating fruit, I always choose the fresh fruit over dried. Simply because it's more filling and you know for certain that there aren't any added sweeteners or oils. You can eat an entire cup of grapes for fewer calories than a 1/4 cup of raisins. I'd rather have a cup of fresh fruit in my belly than a 1/4 cup of dried.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    In general, dried fruit is a once in a while treat.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options

How would they have less fiber, dehydrating them only removes the water from it. Just curious. Fresh fruit is always better in my opinion simply because you do also get the water from the fruit too.

Sorry I meant Fiberous material, thats how my dietitian explained it to me.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    of course, in moderation.