Snacks

Options
c4297
c4297 Posts: 33 Member
I never seem to pick the right snacks..... either they are not filling at all or they cost me a lot of my calories. Does anybody have any suggestions for filling low calorie snacks? that they like? :)

Replies

• Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    i love the weight watchers desserts :) also the shape delights desserts :) wotsits/quavers r around 99 cals per bag, or walkers baked r quite low cal :)

hope these help :)

best wishes
    Kirstie x
  • scrappy11
    scrappy11 Posts: 163
    Options
    Fruit, veggies and almonds. I love them all! I know almonds can get high in calories, but even a 1/4 cup will fill you up for a while! Look for fiberous or protein filled foods; those will keep you full for longer periods of time! :) good luck!
  • RProhofsky
    RProhofsky Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sitting here drinking decaf chi tea and eating 1/4 cup of blanched raw peanuts.
    What does blanched mean anyway???

Actually made these peanut butter chocolate fudge bars - only eat 1/2 a serving at a time
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=399249

Good luck on your journey toward health,
    Rick
  • jlopez87
    jlopez87 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thankfully I'm getting better at snacks!!

Isn't it crazy how snacks can take up SO MANY of your days calories? And they're hardly THAT FILLING most of the time (doesn't seem like they should be wasting so many calories!)

Okay, first is the obvious choices - fruit/veggies. I even get discouraged sometimes though when I see a boring old piece of fruit just set me back 100calories!!
    One thing I've been trying to do is pick lower calorie fruit - like blueberries. They sell frozen blueberries and I find that they're cheaper than fresh sometimes. Plus I actually like to eat them frozen! Sometimes I don't like the texture of fruit/veg but when the blueberries are frozen I enjoy them much more!! it seems like with most berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries- you get more "bang for your buck" - - I frequently refer to calories as if it were money lol)

Same with vegetables. Lately I've been eating cucumbers seasoned with a tny bit of salt and garlic powder with some cider vinegar on it - like cucumber salad. The cucumbers are so low in calories and when i chop them up and dress them up with no-calorie flavor, it makes me feel like I'm eating more for less.

I try to drink a bottle of water while I'm having a snack to make myself feel fuller than I really might be.

Another snack I enjoy is popcorn! they have the 94% fat free popcorn. I forgot exactly how many calories per serving but I know you can have over a cup of popcorn for a reasonable amount of popcorn.

Good luck!! I'm definitely going to check back here to see what others have to say. I'm always looking for lower calorie (lower cost) snack ideas!
  • Diannerv
    Diannerv Posts: 195
    Options
    fruit,
    cut up veggies with a little sour cream and ranch packets mix? They are always in my fridge.
    Carrots
    tomatoes
    cut up cucumbers
    celery
    brocoli.
    I try to go for fresh first but if that doesnt satisfy me I like those 90 calorie fiber one bars with a huge glass of water
    string cheese
    wasa crackers with laughing cow
    100 cal sara lee whole wheat bagel with laughing cow cheese or tblespoon peanut butter
    12 almonds
    turkey roll up, piece of turkey wrapped in a piece lettuce.

what ever snack you pick have a big glass of water to go with it. 20 oz. helps me.
    Good luck!
  • Maztastic
    Maztastic Posts: 43
    Options
    Carrots: a lot of chewing and crunching for not many calories. I get jaw ache before I've ingested 100 calories.
    Shape delights: 109 calories. I freeze mine, then they take ages to eat and they melt in your mouth giving you a good taste of your chosen flavour.
  • c4297
    c4297 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys ! these are all great ! :) I really didnt know what to pick so this helps ALOT (:
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    fruit,
    cut up veggies with a little sour cream and ranch packets mix? They are always in my fridge.
    Carrots
    tomatoes
    cut up cucumbers
    celery
    brocoli.
    I try to go for fresh first but if that doesnt satisfy me I like those 90 calorie fiber one bars with a huge glass of water
    string cheese
    wasa crackers with laughing cow
    100 cal sara lee whole wheat bagel with laughing cow cheese or tblespoon peanut butter
    12 almonds
    turkey roll up, piece of turkey wrapped in a piece lettuce.

what ever snack you pick have a big glass of water to go with it. 20 oz. helps me.
    Good luck!

For the most part i agree with all of this. Drop all of those snack bars, they are really bad for you.
  • Crissy143
    Crissy143 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My Favorites: (all around 100-150 calories)
    Quaker Mini Delights Rice Cakes (wild blueberry)
    Raisins
    Carrots
    Popcorn (Kettlecorn)
    Quaker Chewy Granola Bars
    Dry Cereal (Cheerios, Special K, etc)
    Sunflower Seeds
    Homemade smoothies
    Sherbert
    Bagel Thins with Fat Free Cream Cheese
    Pickles
    Sugar Free Pudding
    Yoplait
    M&Ms (J/K...this is one of my weekly treats!)
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Not tried it but a friend blends up bananas ( no water) then puts them in the fridge and has them as a banana yogurt