Love Baking. Love To See Affordable Low-fat Recipes.

dini33
dini33 Posts: 7
edited September 25 in Recipes
Would love to see people ideas for recipes and replacements in baking etc.Especially affordable baking. I have my own baking blog so you can tell that I am serious about my passion. Love to hear from anyone, even the simplest things you know I might of never heard of :smile:

Replies

• daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Got this recipe from Cooking Light. I just made it early this week and I love it. I changed it so I didn't have to go out and buy anything. Instead of the granulated sugar, I used Splenda Granulated. Instead of the buttermilk, I used a little less than 1 1/3 c. skim milk with a couple Tbsp. of lemon juice to make it equal 1 1/3 c. It was good! The Splenda does give it a different taste but it doesn't bother me enough to use regular sugar.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
    Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces)
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    6 tablespoons butter, softened
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 large egg
    1 large egg white
    1 1/3 cups low-fat buttermilk
    Cooking spray
    2 cups fresh blueberries
    1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
    Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.

3. Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 2 minutes). Add vanilla, egg, and egg white; beat well. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix after each addition.

4. Spoon half of the batter into a 9-inch round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup blueberries. Spoon remaining batter over the blueberries; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 cup blueberries. Sprinkle the top evenly with 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Note: If using peak-season fruit, using 1 1/2 cups blueberries instead of 2 cups, and only 1 cup buttermilk instead of 1 1/3 cups. This will make the batter thicker so the berries won't sink to the bottom.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    287 (31% from fat)
    Fat:
    9.9g (sat 5.9g,mono 2.6g,poly 0.6g)
    Protein:
    5.4g
    Carbohydrate:
    45.4g
    Fiber:
    1.5g
    Cholesterol:
    51mg
    Iron:
    1.4mg
    Sodium:
    294mg
    Calcium:
    93mg
    Marcia Whyte Smart, Cooking Light, MAY 2008
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Just found this on Cooking Light, too. Will definitely have to try this one! I really enjoy baking just like you.

This one isn't quite as easy as the one above because I'm sure you'll need to buy stuff for it. But it doesn't seem like too many ingredients.

Raspberry-Mocha Cake

Ingredients
    2 (8-ounce) packages chocolate sugar-free, low-fat cake mix (such as Sweet 'N Low)
    1 1/2 cups strongly brewed chocolate-almond flavored coffee
    1/4 cup raspberry spreadable fruit, melted
    2 (0.53-ounce) packages sugar-free instant cocoa mix
    1 (1.3-ounce) envelope sugar-free, reduced-calorie whipped topping mix (such as Dream Whip)
    1/2 cup fat-free cold milk
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 375°.

Prepare cake mix according to package directions, substituting coffee for water.

Pour batter into 2 (8-inch) round cake pans. Bake at 375° for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack.

Remove cakes from pans. Poke several holes in each cake layer with a wooden pick. Brush warm cake layers with melted raspberry spread. Let cool completely on wire racks.

Combine cocoa mix and whipped topping mix in a large bowl. Add milk and vanilla; beat with a mixer at low speed until blended. Beat at high speed for 4 minutes or until soft peaks form.

Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate; top with half of frosting. Top first layer with second cake layer; spread remaining frosting on sides and top of cake. Chill frosted cake until ready to serve.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    133 (0.0% from fat)
    Fat:
    2.5g (sat 0.5g,mono 0.0g,poly 0.0g)
    Protein:
    2.4g
    Carbohydrate:
    28.1g
    Fiber:
    0.7g
    Cholesterol:
    0.0mg
    Iron:
    0.0mg
    Sodium:
    47mg
    Calcium:
    0.0mg
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 983 Member
    adding to my topics....

What do you consider low-fat....? A couple of months ago I found a cake recipe online (www.netmums.co.uk) that used honey instead of sugar - I plugged the ingredients into mfp, and it gave me the following nutritional info (serves 8):

Per Serving:

Calories - 187
    Carbs - 27
    Fat - 7
    Protein - 4
    Sodium - 102
    Fiber - 1

100 g Bertolli - Light (Margarine)
    10 g (2 tbsp) Silver Spoon - Caster Sugar
    85 g (4 tbsp) Tesco Value - Clear Honey
    2 Tesco Organic - Large Free Range Eggs
    175 g Tesco - Self Raising White Flour
    1.5g (1 tbsp) Generic - Baking Powder, 1.5 g
    1 tbsp Genric - Ground Cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5. Lightly grease an 20cm / 8 inch cake tin.

In a bowl, beat together all the ingredients until well mixed and of a soft consistency.

Spoon into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 30 minutes until well risen and springy to the touch.

Cut into slices to serve, either on its own or with a little single cream poured on top.
  • dini33
    dini33 Posts: 7
    I guess I would define low fat or healthier versions of baking. Maybe replacing worst baking items for something else. I always see some many recipes for healthy baking but use expensive products to do so. I like homemade at the least and using fruit puree etc
This discussion has been closed.