Iron

Options
I'm a bit concerned by my iron intake. Averaging around 10-15% of my RDA.

I don’t really eat vegetables which is perhaps why but I would like to increase it anyway. Before anyone nags about my lack of veg please don’t, I was force fed as a child and have issues there.

I have started to eat more fruit, wholemeal bread and less fried/fatty food. Not to mention cutting out full sugar drinks like Coke. I want to improve my diet but I’m not ready to face my fear of the green stuff just yet.

Has anyone got suggestions on how to get more iron in my diet without taking pills?

Replies

• dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    I have been watching my iron also - but yesterday I noticed that not all foods in the database have the iron contents included. So now I'm not sure how far under I really have been, and will be watching more closely the food items I choose have all nutrients included.
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Here are some iron rich foods.
    •lean red meats, including beef, pork, lamb
    •seafood, such as oysters, clams, tuna, salmon, and shrimp, etc.
    •beans, including kidney, lima, navy, black, pinto, soy beans, and lentils

Of course the green veggies have lots of iron, but if you can do it, there are other ways.

You might also want to take a multivitamin, which is good to supliment all your needs, definately get one with a good percentage of iron.
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    red meat is higher in iron content than white meat, especially steak :) i wud also suggest spinach, but if u have veg issues go with the steak ;)

best wishes
    Kirstie xx
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    I eat all kinds of beans, lentils and of course seafood. I eat beans at every meal. They are all rich in Iron. Hope this helps!!
  • robertboyd
    Options
    I'm loving Kirstie's suggestion with the steak!

I assume Baked Beans count? They aren't my favourate but are somethig I know are good for me and can be added to most meals.
  • bayles1
    bayles1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Spinach is a good option to add to a salad.
  • bayles1
    bayles1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Lots of seafood contains good doses of iron,such as sardines and other oily fish.You can also get plenty of iron from nuts too which are nice and handy to snack on to supplement the main meal options.
  • ronjaa
    ronjaa Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm watching my iron intake too.. I eat a lot of vegetables, but I don't eat meat. Beans and spinach have lots of iron! That is what I usually consume..