veggie bacon

Options
Has anyone tried the veggie bacon. My mom bought some for me for our sunday breakfast and Im a little scared to try it lol. SO has anyone tried it and how is it comparable to actual bacon?

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Veggie Bacon??? Boy that sounds like an oxymoron! LOL

Let us know how it is.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    ICK!!!! ive never tried it nor will i...i agree, it sounds like an oxymoron....why ruin a good thing :D
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    It does not compare to real bacon. But it is not horrible either. My husband is a vegetarian and we like the Morning Star Farms brand of veggie bacon. I do not care of the other brands I have tried.
  • jsjlandy
    jsjlandy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oscar Meyer turkey bacon is a good alternative to regular bacon.
  • Poehlerbear1983
    Options
    ICK!!!! ive never tried it nor will i...i agree, it sounds like an oxymoron....why ruin a good thing :D
    because I am a vegetarian and cant eat real bacon lol
  • Poehlerbear1983
    Options
    Oscar Meyer turkey bacon is a good alternative to regular bacon.
    I am vegetarian so turkey bacon is out for me but thanks
  • Poehlerbear1983
    Options
    It does not compare to real bacon. But it is not horrible either. My husband is a vegetarian and we like the Morning Star Farms brand of veggie bacon. I do not care of the other brands I have tried.
    thanks! not sure what brand my mom bought but I am now hoping it is morning star farms lol!!!
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    What Amygirl said. Don't go in expecting it to taste like bacon or turkey bacon. I don't know if you remember when turkey bacon became all the rage. You cook it up and go expecting a bacon taste but you end up with this "Oh..." type of deal. It is kind of like that.

It does work decently for sandwiches. So give it a shot and if nothing else, you'll know if you ever want it again. :D
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    thanks! not sure what brand my mom bought but I am now hoping it is morning star farms lol!!!

Morning Star Farms is just my favorite. My husband, the actual vegetarian likes the other brands just fine. I have a blog about vegetarian cooking and on there I have a list of our favorite products. The link is in my siggie. Check it out.
  • Poehlerbear1983
    Options
    What Amygirl said. Don't go in expecting it to taste like bacon or turkey bacon. I don't know if you remember when turkey bacon became all the rage. You cook it up and go expecting a bacon taste but you end up with this "Oh..." type of deal. It is kind of like that.

It does work decently for sandwiches. So give it a shot and if nothing else, you'll know if you ever want it again. :D
    thats what I am thinking....I will go in with an open mind.....before I went vegetarian I prefered the butterball turkey bacon to regular bacon so maybe this wont be so bad. It was nice of my mom to think of me. I am new to being vegetarian and she has been so good.....she even made tofu tacos for our wednesday night dinners this past week.
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I tried the Morningstar bacon when I first became a vegetarian. It's okay, but if you're expecting it to be just like bacon then you'll be sadly disappointed. It tastes similar to bacon, it's very smokey tasting and it does crisp up pretty well in the microwave. But, if you're not a vegetarian and everyone around you is eating real bacon I wish you luck! :wink:
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i love it. i am vegetarian. i usually eat it with something. like in a BLT, or egg white sandwich. i get the morning star version.
  • MamaReebs
    MamaReebs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It tasted like real bacon (according to my husband), but the texture, that was like some thick paper. But it wasn't horrible. Certainly not like real bacon though.
  • ramonaquimby
    ramonaquimby Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I like the morningstar farms stuff, but I am not sure that I would eat it stand alone. In sandwiches it works really well. I've also made fake bacon using tempeh, and that works really well! Tempeh is often "offensive" to the newly vegetarian. However, it is a great healthy ingredient that is incredibly versatile. I use it to make bbq pulled "pork" sandwiches, too.
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've only tried the Morningstar Farms kind, but I like it. When I first tried it, I was cooking it up to make a quick sandwich to take to school and my husband wakes up, comes out of the bedroom and say "ohhh, you made me breakfast?" he was a dissapointed guy! It really does smell like bacon, too! Enjoy!