Exercising before bed

Options
Are there any drawbacks to exercising close to bed time? Does it matter? I've never been able to exercise first thing when I get up, and before bed seems to be the only time I can squeeze a workout in some days!

Replies

• Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I exercise before bed! It's the only time i have. I figure that doing it before bed is better than not doing it at all.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    some days that is the only time i have... I don't think it's bad as long as you are getting it in!!
  • JBRealtorGal
    JBRealtorGal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I heard that exercising before bed helps to speed up the metabolism so you are burning more calories while you sleep.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have when I exercise before bedtime is that I'm jacked up energy wise and it takes me longer to get to sleep.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I often go to the gym later in the evening, then bed after a bath and I always sleep okay...
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I find I have less energy when I do :( But sometimes that is the only time I can workout,
    And sometimes I have trouble falling asleep.
  • designtu
    designtu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been curious about that too. I was told to allow a couple hours after your workout for your body to cool down to go to bed. I was also told it wasn't good for the heart to work out and then go to bed. Too drastic of a change. They were not doctors but seemed to make since. Morning work outs seem to start the day off good. Puts me in the right mind set for the rest of the day. Just a thought.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have when I exercise before bedtime is that I'm jacked up energy wise and it takes me longer to get to sleep.

Ditto. I did a pretty late workout last night and it took me a while before I could finally fall asleep. Pretty sure it's a result of the metabolic boost.

That said, I wouldn't skip the workout just because time constraints caused it to be late. I try to work it into my schedule at a reasonable hour, but if things happen and I can't get it in till late, so be it.
  • nanc94
    nanc94 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    when i cant do morning work outs i do it at nite just not too close to bed time cuz its harder for me to sleep and ive noticed that im tired and hard to wake up the next day...im so used to the morning workouts that give me energy for the rest of the day
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    A loong time ago, it used to be the same for me as it is for Katschi - I would be pumped up from working out at night and have difficulty getting to sleep. Now, though, since I started exercising at night, I am sleeping way better! Before I started exercising at night (when I was doing NO exercising), I was actually having something more like insomnia, so the nighttime exercise clearly helped! I say give it a try and see how it works for you and your body.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The only problem with it is that some people can't go straight to sleep after a workout. Personally, I wear myself out so that I can sleep like a log. LOL But if you are prone to being wide awake after a good weight or cardio workout, try something more soothing like yoga, pilates, or tai chi for right before bed.