Hip/knee pain when walking on an incline

Options
Hi all

I've had problems with my feet all my life (flat feet, had inserts for a while)
My feet haven't bothered me in ages, but when I try to do the treadmill at any incline (above 1.5) it causes extreme pain in my hip, knee, foot...
It's the only form of cardio that I do (treadmill is in my home), since I don't belong to a gym...any thoughts??

Thanks, kim

Replies

• kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I've had problems with my feet all my life (flat feet, had inserts for a while)
    My feet haven't bothered me in ages, but when I try to do the treadmill at any incline (above 1.5) it causes extreme pain in my hip, knee, foot...
    It's the only form of cardio that I do (treadmill is in my home), since I don't belong to a gym...any thoughts??

Thanks, kim
  • gonzo1993
    Options
    It may be your shoes.... I had the same problem as you. I learned the best time to go shoe shopping is really after a workout, because your feet tend to swell, so you will get the best fit that way. I only have a Wal-Mart in my area and bought a pair of Dr. Scholls walking shoe. I haven't had any problems since then.(My walking workout includes a lot of hills...I live in the mountains!) Good luck to you.
  • CristaAmy
    Options
    If it is your shoes ... go to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes. I am not talking big box store (i.e., ****s, etc). Find a local running store. Those people know shoes and feet! You may pay a little more ... but your feet and body will thank you.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You may want to bring this up to your doctor... especially if it's something ONLY happening while using an incline... it could be putting stress on a nerve or an area that needs to be checked out.... especially since you used the word "extreme." If it hurts that bad:
    A.) don't do it
    B.) ask your doctor (or even better, ask a doctor who specializes in bones/joints... orthopedics)