I need more protein!

Options
Ok so I used this site to help lose weight but got a BIT off track when i found out i was pregnant haha, so now i use it to make sure I am eatting enough since sadly I lost 10 pounds in my second trimester from not eating enough. I was told protein is good for me and the baby but I don't seem to be getting any! I can't stand eggs lately and I am not sure really what foods to eat to get my protein can anyone suggest anything that would be cheap and easy to make?

Replies

• Poehlerbear1983
    Options
    greek yogurt, quinoa, beans, nuts stuff like that
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Lean chicken, turkey or beef
    Nuts
    Legumes
    Lean dairy
    Dark green leafy veggies have some too
    Fish (if you're allowed while pregnant-I know some types you aren't)
    Soy products, edamame
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Lentils are great for protein, Low GI and very cheap.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209
    Options
    meats:smile:
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    protein powder shakes !
  • fdsaurbo
    fdsaurbo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ALBACORE TUNA SON!
  • Lorelei19
    Lorelei19 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Here is an excellent list of high protein foods and it also has other nutrition info you should be watching for. Good luck!

http://heartspring.net/list_of_high_protein_foods.html
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    quinoa is a complete protein, use it in place of rice
  • muppetkeeper
    muppetkeeper Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    sardines :-)
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    legumes, beans, quinoa only have a fraction of the protein you could get from turkey, chicken or fish!
  • BigGirlB2008
    BigGirlB2008 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone! Thats a lot of different things I can try :) I really appreciate all the help!
  • freckles39
    Options
    I live on Clif Bar (Peanut butter crunch), Muscle Milk Light shakes, shrimp (I get it from Costco already cooked), turkey jerky, cashews (but they are calorie high for the amount you get to eat), almonds are also a good source. I also like to eat lean Turkey lunch meat. I always need quick....easy access foods due to my schedule.
  • 1111renee
    1111renee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    tuna beans protein shake are good too if you buy a good one..............walnuts are good too
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    No to sardines! If you are pregnant you need to watch your fish intake due to the risk of Mercury!
  • PincessMasson
    Options
    Make home made smoothies and add protien powder to your smoothies!
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    No to sardines! If you are pregnant you need to watch your fish intake due to the risk of Mercury!
    This also goes for the TUNA Sorry :-)

Nuts are very good especially walnuts for protein and Omega 3... a good fat! Put them in your cereal or yogurt. Make Jello salads with fruits and nuts. Enjoy and congratulations. :-)
  • crisdB
    crisdB Posts: 49
    Options
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!!!
    The Jennie O turkey burgers i get from Sam's Club have 30 grams of protein.....they're pretty good.
    Peanut Butter is good on toast (plain as well...love me some PB)
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    what about whey protein in drinks..I mix mine with ensure but you dont even have to mix it with anything
  • Poehlerbear1983
    Options
    what about whey protein in drinks..I mix mine with ensure but you dont even have to mix it with anything
    I do the chocolate whet with light chocolate soy milk. Yum!
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Most people who ask for more protein are looking for more grams of protein with as few carbs/fat/calories added as possible. If that is your goal - you're really looking to add protein grams to your daily intake, then go with:

Grilled/boneless/skinless chicken - buy it frozen, it's cheap and grill it up on the foreman.
    Tuna - great snack for the road, comes in little packages.
    Whey protein - cheap and easy to mix. Buy a shaker for GNC or Walmart for 5 bucks and keep it with you for emergencies.
    Eggs/eggwhites - go with the eggs. Yeah, there's fat. No you won't get high LDL levels. They're natural and delicious.

Those are the easiest and basically 100% protein - no fat/carbs. (yes whey tends to have a couple grams of each - not much)

Almost all meat is carb free, so based on how much fat you're getting with your protein, it's always a good choice. The only meat that people seem to forget has carbs is ham due to the processing. You can usually buy pretty cheap skillet steaks that are very lean and cook them up in about 2 minutes for a quick protein snack.

In general - just never eat anything out of a box. It's all crap. God/Giam/Nature/FlyingSpaghettiMonster didn't create food in boxes for a reason.