Gaining??? How is that possible?

Options
Hi, I've been a member for 45 days :) and at first I was doing really well with a weight loss of 4 lbs in 4.5 weeks.....but I have been under my calorie goal every day, and increasing my exercise as much as possible...and I gained 3 lbs back!! :( I feel terrible and dont know what to do.....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I've been under my calorie goal and have been exercising almost every day for a month and still managed to gain a pound. If you figure out the answer let me know!
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? You need it to flush the excess! Good luck to you/
  • MarkHarrisonUK
    Options
    Firstly - don't worry. This is normal!

There are a whole bunch of reasons that are likely the explanation, but two very likely ones are:

- Firstly, from your description of "increasing my exercise as much as possible" you might simply be going through a phase where you're putting on muscle at the expense of fat. In the short term, this might lead to a few pounds, but in the long term, it's great news!

- Secondly, I see from your profile that you're female and about my age. It's likely that your weight follows what's probably best described as a '28 day cycle', so that there's a long term trend downwards, coupled with an up and down oscillation (basically, due to the amount of water you store at different times.) Measure on the wrong day, and that could easily account for 2-3 of those 3lb.

I'd make sure that you are ensuring that your muscle groups are all getting rest days, so the fibres can heal properly, and weigh yourself in a week's time - I'm sure that you'll see the downwards line on the graph come back.

Regards,

Mark
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    OK...last week had the same issue, under my calorie goal all week long, doing the 30 day shred and active at my job...sometimes I think it may just be your body fluctuating. Water weight, muscle gain, dehydration(if you lost 2lbs over night) and such. For me, I did sweat and hard, it was very discouraging. I would say get off of the scale and don't weigh yourself until next week. I put on 3lbs from last week to Wednesday, weighed myself today and somehow took it off? Our bodies naturally fluctuate.
  • tinkerbell1964
    Options

There are a whole bunch of reasons that are likely the explanation, but two very likely ones are:

- Firstly, from your description of "increasing my exercise as much as possible" you might simply be going through a phase where you're putting on muscle at the expense of fat. In the short term, this might lead to a few pounds, but in the long term, it's great news!

- Secondly, I see from your profile that you're female and about my age. It's likely that your weight follows what's probably best described as a '28 day cycle', so that there's a long term trend downwards, coupled with an up and down oscillation (basically, due to the amount of water you store at different times.) Measure on the wrong day, and that could easily account for 2-3 of those 3lb.

I'd make sure that you are ensuring that your muscle groups are all getting rest days, so the fibres can heal properly, and weigh yourself in a week's time - I'm sure that you'll see the downwards line on the graph come back.

Regards,

Mark

very informative thanks Mark !
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options

Regards,

Mark

What a great response!
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Is it muscle???? Are you shrinking????? I did not lose more than ounces my first month, but I lost sizes!!!!
  • MarkHarrisonUK
    Options
    Tinkerbell, QueenOfCups,

Thank you for the kind words.

As you'll see from my "yes, yes, yes - it was just a blip" post, I've been through EXACTLY the same issue over the last few weeks, so now feel a lot more confident that the "keep at it" message really works :-)
  • tlctig1215
    Options
    :smile: Thank you so much for the great information!!!! Ireally appreciate it!!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Your body will retain water when you increase your activity level too, even if you aren't gaining enough muscle to make a difference on the scale (if you were, you'd still be burning more fat than you gain as muscle), but as your muscles heal from the tiny tears they get from exercise (why you feel sore), they need more water to do that.

Nutrition choices can make a big difference too. If you're staying under calories & exercising, but all your calories are from carbs or fatty proteins, or unhealthy fats, you might gain. You'll lose better eating lean meats, whole grains, 2-3 servings of low-fat dairy, and lots of water & fruits/veggies. Easier said than done, for sure, but those are all things to keep in mind, in addition to hormonal fluctuations etc.
  • larisadixon
    larisadixon Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Overtraining: How to determine if this means you

The most important thing is to pay attention to how you’re feeling. If you dread heading to the gym, feel tired and achy, and feel like you’re working as hard as you can but aren’t getting the results you want, you’ve most likely done it! If this is the case, take a couple of days to relax. It won’t undo what you’ve worked so hard for, and will actually help you with your future progress. Keeping a journal or log of your workouts will also help you to see if you are working harder and harder over time. It will also allow you to see if you’ve been taking adequate rest time to let your body repair itself. In general, taking 1-2 days completely off from exercise each week will help you. And every couple of months, take an entire week off from strenuous exercise and just go for a walk!
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    If you make your food diary public we can help you a bit more. I went through this also over a three day span...gained three...but then lost them plus one by the end of the week. I decided my sodium level was too high so I lowered it and started drinking more water.....hasn't happened again....
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Your body will retain water when you increase your activity level too, even if you aren't gaining enough muscle to make a difference on the scale (if you were, you'd still be burning more fat than you gain as muscle), but as your muscles heal from the tiny tears they get from exercise (why you feel sore), they need more water to do that.

Nutrition choices can make a big difference too. If you're staying under calories & exercising, but all your calories are from carbs or fatty proteins, or unhealthy fats, you might gain. You'll lose better eating lean meats, whole grains, 2-3 servings of low-fat dairy, and lots of water & fruits/veggies. Easier said than done, for sure, but those are all things to keep in mind, in addition to hormonal fluctuations etc.

Agree!
  • tlctig1215
    Options
    Thank you all for the great information!!! I really appreciate it. How do you make your food diary so everyone can see it?
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 117
    Options
    Thank you all for the great information!!! I really appreciate it. How do you make your food diary so everyone can see it?

in the HOME tab click on SETTINGS. Then click on DIARY SETTINGS and check PUBLIC under Diary Sharing :)
  • PincessMasson
    Options
    You need to remember as you workout more you are building muscle too. Remember it's not just pounds you are losing it is also inches. Are you measureing you for arms, bust, waist and hips?? are you clothing fiting better???

Also remember your water in take. If you are having a hard time with drinking 8 glasses of water (I know I do) trying add frozen fruit to your water, It adds extra flavor. A cool refreashing drink is ice water with cuccumber and a splash od mint.

Good luck girl

Linda
    :flowerforyou:
  • ranjant
    ranjant Posts: 33
    Options
    From my experience when I weighed myself back in early feb I was at 196.4 @ 16.4 bf. Last week I am at 198-199 lbs @ 15.2 % bf. If you have an bf scanner or use the one they have in the gym. Something definitely to look at as well as weight gain. Weird I'm a marathoner I lift weights gaining muscle mass is good I guess ^^