In a Panic... Bridesmaids Dress is TOO BIG!

Options
I ordered a bridesmaids dress back in October of last year. I ordered a 16 according to my measurements at that time. It has arrived. It's huge.

To put it all in perspective, I also just bought two new suits for work today.... they were a size 6.

I'm panicking. Can such a huge size difference be altered!?

Anyone ever been in a situation like this?

Or will I just need to beef up for the wedding this summer?!

Replies

• WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    My wedding dress seemed HUGE and I had it altered right down. I think it was a size 14 and I was about a 4 or 6. It can be done!

Great job and enjoy having it altered!!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I just bought a prom dress for my daughter. She is this petite little thing, not quite 5' tall and barely 100 pounds. Her waist is 25". Literally, when we shop for clothes, she's a 00. The dress she picked out was a size 9. They were very easily able to alter it to fit her and it looks gorgeous! Here's a link to a pic after the alterations so you can see how amazing they did at the alterations.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=17621069&l=e9d12ce578&id=642770651

As you can see, the seamstresses at dress shops are absolutely amazing at alterations! So, you'll be fine with having it altered. Just take it to your local bridal or prom dress shop.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    No biggie, just get it altered. Make sure the place you go to is good.
    Congrats on your loss.
  • S0LYMAR
    S0LYMAR Posts: 14
    Options
    I had a similar experience years ago when I lost 30 lbs leading to a wedding. We ordered through David's Bridal and as I was losing weight through the process I was able to twice change my order. Check with the bridal shop to see if they would exchange it. I also had the experience of attempting to size down another bridesmaid dress because the style was discontinued and the only dress available was one 3 sizes larger. A seamstress promised that it would look fine but it just did not look like the other dresses. It would depend a lot on the style I guess.

But if all things don't work and you are not satisfied after the dress is altered, order a new one. You might still have time to order a dress because most of those orders take 12 weeks. Check and be happy.
  • StPattysGrl
    Options
    Thank you to all of you who have responded! You have really calmed me down! I just didn't really expect to loose this much (maybe get down to a 12) - so I was shocked today when I fit into a 6. I will be sure to talk to a seamstress as soon as possible!
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    That is awesome.. See if you can get it in your new size and exchange the dresses or if not get it altered.. My wedding dress only cam in 12 and I had it altered to size 4, it fit like a glove. You would never know it was altered.