i want to see my abs

Options
i want to see my abs.im 5'10 187lbs... how much weight do i need to lose to see them..

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your body fat %. Usually men need to be below 10% body fat to see them.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'10" also, and dropped from 198 to 176lbs so far - still can't see my abs, but that is also my goal. The only place left where there is any fat is over my abs. I understand that's the first place you put fat on and the last place you lose it... I'll carry on till I can see what's there! Then work at definition...
  • Delboy1961
    Options
    you will need to be about 10% body fat so get that tested and work on that.Im trying to work out if there is an equation ie 1% loss equals 1lb .as I want to know what weight to aim for as BMI tells me I need to lose a stone and that is really the most I want to lose but would like a flat stomach although if I lose too much my face looks gaunt
  • CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    i can see the top ones now but not bottom ones
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I want to as well. 5'10" male as well. I am 176 right now, and the abs are far from visible. I am still shooting for 165, but really want to get a fairly accurate body composition analysis done so I know what my body fat % is so that have a better idea on whether 165 is a reasonable goal to see my abs. I do know that now that I am almost to the last 10 pounds I am ramping up my calories again, and I continue to ramp up the exercise. I suggest you look into things other than long duration steady state cardio. In particular Interval training, High Intensity Interval Training, and Metabolic Resistance Training.
  • borkjr
    borkjr Posts: 14
    Options
    Same goal here - I am 5'7 - dropped from 180 to 159 so far, still can't really see them, though I think I'm almost there. Guessing another 5-7 pounds.
  • bmhall
    bmhall Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree w/ above.

If you maintain a healthy diet (limit carbs, eat lots of protein, drink plenty of water) and do 3 hrs of cardio/strength training a week you should start to see them by summer! Good Luck!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    for me it was 165 (same height). that was a while ago :(
  • CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    do yall need a pic. i lose to 165 pounds i will be total cut like 2% body fat
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Unless you are carrying a larger amount of muscle for your height, you should start getting close to cut by about 170, but may need more to actually be cut. No way I would be down to 2% are 165, maybe 10-12%.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    If you think you are close, you may want to try some hardcore ab workouts. I've read weighted workouts will help with definition. When I got to the point where I could see the top of my abs, I did a workout called ab bootcamp in addition to my regular workouts. I think it helped get the definition showing.