Quinoa...

Options
perrytyra
perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
Anyone have a recipe for Quinoa that my family will actually eat? I don't know what posessed me to buy this. I tried couscous and they hated it.

Replies

• Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    i dont know if your family will eat it lol, but i love it, i mix it with some italian dressing throw steamed veggies in it, steamed spinach, some feta cheese, olives... so yummy, or i put it in soup. i also just eat it plain as a side...
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    I cook it in low sodium broth and toss in feta cheese (or any cheese you like, have used parmesan too) and chopped green onions, shredded carrots. So yummy. Make sure you rinse the quinoa well before you cook it or it will be bitter. Hope this helps. I also throw it in my salads too.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    A fellow MFP gal was nice enough to share this with me....haven't made it yet but it sounds wonderful!

Quinoa Salad w/ Cherries and Pecans-4 servings, approximately 25 minutes

1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
    1/2 cup pecans
    1/2 tsp. olive oil
    1/2 red onion, chopped
    1 Tbsp. honey
    1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
    2 cups dark, sweet cherries, fresh or frozen ( I used frozen)
    2 Tbsp. chopped parsley

1. Cook quinoa according to package directions, uncover and allow to cool.
    2. Meanwhile, place the pecans in a medium nonstick skillet and cook over medium heat, shaking the pan often, for 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly toasted. Transfer to a plate to cool.
    3. Heat the oil in the same skillet, add the onion and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until beginning to brown. Remove from the heat, and stir in the honey and cinnamon, set aside to cool.
    4. While the onion mixture and quinoa cool, pit the fresh cherries if using, or thaw the frozen cherries in the microwave according to package directions. Coarsely chop the cherries and combine with the quinoa, pecans and onion mixture in a large bowl. Toss well and sprinkle with the parsley.

We served ours over a bed of baby spinach that was tossed with a drizzle of light balsamic vinagrette. Here's the nutrition info as well (not including the spinach or salad dressing)

378 calories, 10g protein, 57g carbohydrates, 14g fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 65mg cholesterol, 5mg sodium, 7g fiber
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I cooked it off a few times then added it as a bulker in curries and chillies.
  • bootbuilder
    Options
    I brown up some beef or chicken chunks (1" cubes), heat up a can of black beans (usually carribean style), add a can of tomatoes with chiles and peppers, add Quinoa (cooked in broth). Mix all together and serve. I will put some sour cream on the table and chips and my family will eat it as a dip of sorts. Not sure of the calorie count.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Thanks people. Those sound yummy.
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Hated couscous?!?!?!??!!???! omgggggggg i love it the WW kind is so much betta than rice :)

I can't do Quinoa.... too much of a nutty flavor and i seem to never cook it right/.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I love making stir fries and using quinoa instead of rice. Try using your family's favourite stir fry sauce!

Also, I cook my quinoa in a rice cooker - 1 part quinoa, 2 parts liquid (usually half water, half broth). Takes all the effort out of it, and it always comes out perfect. :) Good luck!