Spaghetti Sauce on Rice?

Options
Becky1971
Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
Anyone ever eat spaghetti sauce on rice?
One of my families favorite meals is spaghetti, and it's one of mine too. But I shouldn't be eating wheat. So was wondering how it might be with rice? This is what I have in the house right now.

Replies

• NotaNikki
    NotaNikki Posts: 40
    Options
    I do this sometimes. It's not as great as pasta, but still yummy.
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Okay, I will give it a try.

I'm feeling some discomfort this morning after eating some sun chips last night, (I think I may be more sensitive than I originally thought, how this stuff just all of a sudden comes on, I don't know) so i'm not wanting to add more wheat today.
  • shalma
    shalma Posts: 80
    Options
    Add chicken and onions and green peppers and put over rice and it's chicken caccaitore.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I think it would be great!! I used Spaghetti Sauce in meat loaf the other night and everyone LOVED it!!
  • kaitlynsmom
    kaitlynsmom Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love speg sauce on fried coleslaw!!!! You can eat so much also since the coleslaw is so low in calories.
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Add chicken and onions and green peppers and put over rice and it's chicken caccaitore.

Oh really I didn't know that. I haven't ever made spaghetti with chicken, but I told my husband we would be having chicken more often. I have more ideas and lower calorie ideas cooking with chicken. And I like it better. lol
  • rjnandjosh
    rjnandjosh Posts: 168
    Options
    I buy rice spaghetti
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    They make rice noodles. They're in the Asian food section of our store. :)
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I will look for Rice noodles next time I go to the store.
  • caligirl86
    Options
    Try shirataki tofu noodles.. It takes a little gettin used to... but Its just like Spaghetti... And only 20 calories a serving!
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    This is an old WW trick, but using canned bean sprouts instead of spaghetti noodles and I think it is good too, and about 50 cal per cup.
  • caligirl86
    Options
    This is an old WW trick, but using canned bean sprouts instead of spaghetti noodles and I think it is good too, and about 50 cal per cup.
    [/quote

Cool I will have to check this out! Thx
    ]
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I love speg sauce on fried coleslaw!!!! You can eat so much also since the coleslaw is so low in calories.

Wow. I've never tried that. What a great idea.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    mix a pound of lean hamburger (or chicken), taco mix, fried onions, bell peppers, spaghetti sauce, and rice and you have spanish rice.
  • momofcami
    momofcami Posts: 45
    Options
    What about spaghetti squash? I often use that as a base to my spaghetti sauce on nights when my family eats pasta. It's obviously not as filling or satisfying as pasta - but very low cal and nutricious.
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Try shirataki tofu noodles.. It takes a little gettin used to... but Its just like Spaghetti... And only 20 calories a serving!

I just learned last night that the sprouts I eat at Mongolian Grill are bean sprouts, as in soy bean, isn't that what tofu is Soy?
  • bootbuilder
    Options
    Actually had this last night on brown rice. Added some steamed veggies and it turned out pretty good.
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Here is a good recipe with salsa rather than spaggetti sauce:
    Slow cooker Salsa Chicken: 4 servings 1 serving = approx. 250 calories (plus rice calories)

4 boneless chicken breasts 1/3 pkg. low sodium taco seasoning ( or more if you like it spicy)
    1 can fat reduced mushroom soup 1/2 cup light or fat free sour cream
    1 cup salsa
    Add chicken to slow cooker. Sprinkle with Taco seasoning, pour salsa & soup over chicken. Cook on low for 6 hours. Stir in sour
    cream just before your serve it. Put over rice or rice noodles.

I have served this to company & had good comments. It is full of flavour!
  • TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Some of these ideas sound wonderful I am going to have to try this!!
  • dlaizure
    dlaizure Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No, but spaghetti sauce on couscous is awesome.

I take diced canned tomatoes and mix it with spaghetti sauce to lower the calories a smidgen. Sauteed mushrooms, green peppers and onions added will also punch up the volume if you are really needing a quantity of food.

Either way, it's a quick meal or emergency snack. Cooked couscous stays in the frig for several days.