investing in an HRM, and...

Options
...i just wanna know what brands people recommend. as well, does your HRM ask for your weight info? it should, right?

i am in china and i can order practically anything through taobao (our "e-bay" here), i only want brand names to look for so i can pick out some decent ones. i am afraid to order HRMs that only cost 58rmb (that is about $8), they definitely won't be great quality! what's the approximate price range (in USD or CAD) for an good, functional HRM?

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 it cost me 130$ Canadian and I love it. Does everything I want it to do.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I just ordered my first one today! I got the Polar FT1, it's a base model because I didn't need it to do much. Mainly, I just wanted something to count calories when I workout. I checked Ebay, Target, Walmart and Amazon and Amazon had the best deal at $53.00.
  • CRutherford73
    Options
    For my money the way to go is a Polar model. I use a FT7 and my wife has a FT4.
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    get a polar, their fab, but some ranges dont show cals burned, so check their website, (google it) find one you like the specs of, then search for it on the site you'd like to buy it, mine cost me £55 GBP pre-owned, but never even taken out of the box.
  • Scubasab
    Scubasab Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research and asked a lot of people regarding HRM. I just ordered a POLAR FT7 $110 on AMAZON and got it in the mail yesterday!!! I can't wait to put it to use but, I just had surgery and the doc wants me to wait another 2 weeks!!! Good luck to you!!!
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT4 and I love it! I just used it to do C25K week 5! I got mine on Amazon.com for about $65 USD. You do enter you age, height, and weight. It tells you how many calories you have burned during your workout which was the main feature I wanted. Very good simple HRM for a decent price. Some of the other polar models get pretty expensive and have all kinds of extra gadgets, but this one does exactly what I need it to do.
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    I just ordered my first one today! I got the Polar FT1, it's a base model because I didn't need it to do much. Mainly, I just wanted something to count calories when I workout. I checked Ebay, Target, Walmart and Amazon and Amazon had the best deal at $53.00.

I don't think this model gives you calories burned. I had the FS1 before and it didn't do cals burned. Just HR. I just looked up the FT1 and it says it doesn't show calories burned and that the FT4 is the lowest model that does. You might check to be sure before you open everything and use it. :)
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I just got my Polar FT4 a couple weeks back off of ebay for $56 (the original price ranges in the $90's I believe) I have no problems so far :)
  • Jentrin03
    Jentrin03 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7!!!! Does everything I want it to and at first I didn't want a chest strap but the Polar comes with one. After using it I'm so happy to have you.
  • tinboy
    tinboy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 405cx--$250.00 US Yes, asks for your weight. Has a HR chest strap. Can give you calories, pace, distance and more... :bigsmile:
  • grumpy2032
    grumpy2032 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have a Sportline .Got it at WalMart 37.$ love it easy to use .time, date ,age ,gender,stop watch, calorie counter, easy to use .that is what sold me on it.
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    yay! thank you so much everyone! :) gonna buy a polar FT4, with shipping over here it comes to just under $100 CAD! hooray!