I'm Discouraged

Options
I have been going to the gym in my apartment complex for almost a month. Since I haven't worked out in a while, I am building up workouts slowly and trying to eat better. I do treadmill 3 days a week for 30 minutes and weights 2 days a week for about 20 minutes. But I haven't lost a pound. :( I am upset with myself because i swore when i lost weight a few years ago (down from 172 to 147) I wouldn't ever allow myself to get this heavy again. But sadly it has...and I am trying not to burst into tears with frustration. A friend of mine told me how this site has been a godsend for her, so I decided to sign up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I have the same luck.

Replies

• bmedina12
    Options
    Don't worry about. We all go through this. It feels like you did so much, and are excited to go onto the scale. But all hope goes south when you see that number. Screw the scale. Keep doing what you are doing. Don't give up. The only thing that is standing in the way of you achieving your goal is not the food, or the exercise. It's you. Don't let it bring you down. Use that insecurity to your advantage, and take off those pounds. I know you can do it. And you do too.
  • christabeltoria
    christabeltoria Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This site WILL help you! It teaches you a lot about what behaviours are holding you back, and gives you lots of encouragement . We're all struggling with our weight, but this site gives us focus. Best of luck!
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    hello and welcome, theirs lots of reasons the scales may not be moving, like not drinking enough, gaining muscle etc, have a look around old forum posts, theirs a wealth of knowledge here, good luck x
  • kimpenny
    kimpenny Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Don't get upset about it. Use this site to help you monitor your calorie intake but never forget that muscle weighs more than fat. So if your burning off fat but building up muscle that could be why! There is no way that with a healthy calorie controlled diet and the right exercise you shouldn't lose weight. Also,it may take your body a while to adjust to the new lifestyle! There are many different things you could factor in. Just keep going and you will see results. Good luck and if you need a friend feel free to add me. :)
  • sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    this site is wonderful... i just love it... great support.. :smile:
  • LoriFrazer
    LoriFrazer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration because I was in the same boat. I've only been using this program for about a week and I've found it to be helpful. More so accountable for what you eat more than anything. It's self awareness to what you're eating no doubt. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to focus on the scale and gauge your weight loss on the way your clothes fit. Keep up the committment and you will see the difference.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    How do you feel after exercising (and before you get on the scale?) Do you feel energized and positive about the fact that you're doing the right thing? Are your clothes fitting better?

I understand how you feel. I exercised every day this week, was under my calorie goals, and still ended up gaining two pounds. But I remembered back to one day last week when I caught myself in a full length mirror (which I ususally avoid). I was wearing slacks that weren't as tight as they were before. And I really did look better.

So despite what the scale said, I think I am making progress. I feel better, I am sleeping better, and I am less stressed. I may take the advice of taking measurements in addition to weight -- this might just help keep me motivated, too!

Let me know how things are going!
  • thefishers4
    thefishers4 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This site is the best site in the whole wide world and I am grateful for the days I have been here. This site has totally changed my life and the way I eat. :)
  • charliebrowntx
    Options
    I know it is discouraging to not see the weight go but maybe you are not eating enough to actually make you metab. boost up and kick in to gear. I think if I were you I would reevaluate my food intake and make sure I and eating enough to help me lose. I know it does sound funny you have to eat more to lose but you have to motivate you metab. to work also. Do you eat back the cals. your are burning every day? I think you are suppose to eat them all back to keep a well balanced metab. I hope you have better luck when you do so reevaluations of what you are doing eating wise. You are very welcome to add me to your friends list if you would like to do so.
  • AMBrody
    AMBrody Posts: 25
    Options
    Try drinking more water. Good Luck, the weight will come off.
  • Kellyjeanne08
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all so much for the support already. I do feel I am doing good for myself by working out..it's been many years since I worked out this much. And I have a set time every day when I go to the gym, so that way I know when it's 5pm it's gym time....and I also know by watching Cake Boss of all things I dont watch the clock, I watch the TV and concentrate on working out instead of the clock.

My best friend is a Trainer so he tells me what to do for exercise and told me to try and eat 5 times a day instead of 3, to boost my metabolism. Water is basically all I drink..

Maybe someday my pants will fit better.