Big Calves!!

Options
Moop87
Moop87 Posts: 71 Member
Today I went out to buy some new pants for work as a couple pair I had now hang too low on me and look sloppy. Anyhow I found so many pairs I liked, and in my size, BUT they were called "Boyfriend cut" They probably would have fit, but I couldn't get my legs through to the bottom because my calves are too big! I have tried to target this area, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to help lose inches off calves. I would think if I exercised they would be muscular and it might defeat the purpose.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Today I went out to buy some new pants for work as a couple pair I had now hang too low on me and look sloppy. Anyhow I found so many pairs I liked, and in my size, BUT they were called "Boyfriend cut" They probably would have fit, but I couldn't get my legs through to the bottom because my calves are too big! I have tried to target this area, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to help lose inches off calves. I would think if I exercised they would be muscular and it might defeat the purpose.

Any suggestions?

It's tough to put mass on calves. They're sort of like abs in that sense.

Exercising isn't going to make them huge, especially if the exercise you're doing is cardio.
  • Pinkribbon_Doc
    Options
    i have the same issue :( Doing Pilates and Yoga helps lengthen out the muscle...but if there is anything else, id love to know
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    try stretching them out more or not wearing heals
  • squidward11
    Options
    l also have that problem!! l have always wanted long boots but none of them will do up past my calves! So frustrating! l know you can get boots for wide calves but l want to cut them down to size not buy boots that are bigger.....
  • Moop87
    Options
    try stretching them out more or not wearing heals

Since I got older I don't wear heels anymore. I had some problems with my feet so I gave up on them. I read somewhere and I don't know if it's true that calf size is inherited. Does that sound right? :huh:
  • Moop87
    Options
    I have been wanting ti buy those boots as well! Too bad I can't get them at a nearby store instead!
  • Liss1
    Liss1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I wish i had bigger calves ( and forearms), i always think mine looks so wimpy for how tall i am.
  • teejies
    teejies Posts: 19
    Options
    hi - re long boots - I have the ridiculous calf problem but purchased my first pair yesterday!!
    there is a trick to it - zip them up from the bottom all scrunched and pull them up - it might take a few gos, but I was not going to pay $400 AUD plus for boots - and I hate elastic in them.

I have a cobbler friend who has redesigned my others and I recommend looking around a bit.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Wish I knew the answer. I always had big calves until about a year ago. Even when I was a teenager, they were so big that I had to sleep with Ace bandages wrapped around my calves to get them down enough to fit into my riding boots for horse shows. Wish I could have afforded custom boots, but oh well. Oh yeah, and after a day in those boots, getting them off was quite an adventure.

Now, finally, my calves have slimmed down. I don't know whether it's due to hormonal changes (I'm 49) or all the walking that I do. But apparently the walking isn't making them BIGGER, lol.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I won't complain about my skinny calves anymore. I wear a size 16, have a pretty big middle, but my calves are so small compared to the rest of my body. I have had several women skinnier than me tell me they love my legs. Well, I want a body to match!

I don't think you have to worry about them getting bigger.
  • she_elf
    she_elf Posts: 108
    Options
    I also have huge calves, and they're muscle, not fat. I might try yoga to lengthen the muscle (but since the muscle extends into my also hugely muscular ankles, I'm not sure what good that'll do).

The best advice I can give is to either try a different cut--maybe flare leg. But if you really like boyfriend, boot cut, or skinny jeans, try getting a size up (or two sizes, whatever fits your calf) and then have it altered to fit the rest of you.
    If I've learned anything watching "What Not to Wear" it's that nothing will ever fit you perfectly--so tailoring is your friend.