exercise calories

Options
Ok I have read every post on this site and even a few extras on other sites. I understand that exercise calories are to be eaten back but why? It seems like a waste to burn 500 calories just to turn around and eat it back when I could have just burned 100 or none. I know exercise is good for the body and mind but I'm still confused on the actual purpose of eating them back when reducing calorie intake is what causes weight loss. I'm not talking about starvation mode or any of that. This is a broader question. Any answers for me? Thanks!

Replies

• EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question...starvation mode..the way MFP is set up...it already has you at a calorie deficit to lose the amount of weight you chose over a week...when you work out and burn more cals..you put yourself ant a even bigger deficit...which means the body is not getting nourished..so instead of losing weight and shedding fat your body holds on to the fat because its trying to avoid "starvation mode", which occurs when the body is at a calorie deficit. Now I am giving this to you the way I have understood it but in more simple terms than some of the more experienced answers you are going to get...with that being said on some days I burn over 800 cals and there is no way that I can eat them in addition to my 1400...so I at least get to my 1400 on those days and I just try not to have to many high calorie burning days for that exact reason...I would rather have a day of burning a mod amot of cals and trying to eat back at least half of them than putting myself at a high calorie deficit and my net cal intake is somewhere around 200-300...Hope this helps...Im no expert by far...this is just how I understand it!!!!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Basically, it's to ensure that your body has enough intake to keep it fueled when you are doing the extra workouts. MFP was created so that you could lose weight with their goals without adding exercise. Most people suggest that you have a minimum of 1200 calories eaten/intake per day to keep the body properly fueled.

If you eat 1200 but exercise and burn off 600, you have only actually taken in 600 calories to fuel your body. That is why they suggest you eat back part or all of your exercise calories.

Keep in mind that every body loses weight differently so this may not always work for you. Try it the way MFP suggests for a couple weeks and see what happens. If you don't lose weight, you might try the opposite way or somewhere in between and see what works for you.

Good luck!
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    The site already sets your initial goal so you will loose whatever it is that you have it set at (1-2 lbs) and when you exercise your body need extra nutrients to stay in balance. It is ok to go up to 1000 calories under your goal including exercise. I try to keep between 200-900 under.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    To be toned!
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    and the whole point of exercising more than whatever gives you 100 calories is to gain muscle and loose fat
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I know so many people struggle with this, and I am trying to learn what I can. Why not try a trial week and see what happens when you eat your calories back?
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I exercize so I can eat more!!!!!

Not only that though the muscle I build is helping increase my metabolism and I want to be toned, and have better cardiovascular health so that is why I exercize.

I could just burn 100 or none and stick to eating bare minimum calories and be skinny and flabby but I don't want that.

yes the deficit of calories is what causes you to lose weight but too much deficit can put in "starvation mode" as mentioned many times here on MFP, so that is why you eat them back.
  • 224BILL
    224BILL Posts: 29
    Options
    The sight has already established how many calories you can have and still be on course to lose the weight you initially put in per week. When you exercise you are just adding those calories to that total. I have had a really hard time with this concept also, I just finished my first week following this thought process and sure enough I have lost the 2 pounds they promised. I workout with weights 4 to 5 days a week and jog a minimum of 3-6 miles each workout so you can imagine the calories the sight wants me to take in on workout days. This morning I ran 6 miles at a 10 minute mile pace and it wanted me to consume 2200 calories which I am not even close to (lacking about 850 calories as I am typing). Make sure to try and meet your daily goals as this will affect your energy and drive to continue the program.
  • missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    Ok it helps! Thank u all I really appreciate your responses!!!!!!! I understand; )
  • keylareed
    keylareed Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think..... Especially if you are on the 1200 calorie diet, which is the lowest number of calories science says you should take in to function, it is important to try to eat your exercise calories... I was eating less than my 1200 calories and exercising and I stopped losing all together. It was a frustrating concept for me too. I wanted to take advantage of that exercise and lose weight faster. I have decided to look at exercise as a way to tone my body so that it looks smokin hot when I lose my extra layer of fat. ;) And of course to make me have a healthy heart and lungs and to give me more energy. :)

Possibly, and this is just my theory, if your goal is set to more than 1200 calories, you could just eat enough so that your net is at least 1200 calories. Like I said, I am not a doctor, but I am going to try this for a few weeks and see if my metabolism will reset and I can start losing again. :)
  • acarter72
    acarter72 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here....great advice!! I usually eat back all my exercise calories as yes it is my "ticket" to eating more (as I LOVE to eat) and your body needs it. Hope this helps and good luck to you!
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time with this concept too. I have lost a total of 12.5 pounds since Jan. but I have stalled. I haven't lost anything in 2 weeks. I run/walk most days and earn an additional 400 plus calories to eat but I am not always sure of the accuracy of the foods and the exercises that are already plugged in. Also, what if you aren't hungry? Most days I am full with my 1200. :( I am going to try and eat all of my calories the next week to see what happens.
  • missbeezy
    Options
    I'm going to eat them back and see what happens. Toning is good! I see the benefits now!
    2042 Posts: 3
    Options
    reading the information you posted about exercise calories is helpful. i rather stick to one day of walking in the morning, rest of days strength training
  • missbeezy
    Options
    I am having a hard time with this concept too. I have lost a total of 12.5 pounds since Jan. but I have stalled. I haven't lost anything in 2 weeks. I run/walk most days and earn an additional 400 plus calories to eat but I am not always sure of the accuracy of the foods and the exercises that are already plugged in. Also, what if you aren't hungry? Most days I am full with my 1200. :( I am going to try and eat all of my calories the next week to see what happens.

Good luck! I hope it works for you. Just keep pushing and congrats on the loss thus far!
  • woofie6
    woofie6 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am having trouble eating as many calories as I am supposed to in the right proportions. So today for instance, I am 385 calories short. And it is 9:40 at night and I don't want to eat before I go to bed...but this happens more often than not because I enter everything late in the day. I *think* I am eating enough during the day only to find out that I am short at night. I guess the solution is to enter what I plan to eat and then see what I'll end at. It's hard because I am not really trying to lose weight but convert the weight I have to muscle rather than flab. So I am exercising more than I was, and modifying my eating habits to balance out my carbs and protein at the right times of the day to support my efforts. Learning how much exercise = how many calories seems important as well so I can adjust on the fly. Who knew this was going to take so much thinking? But I do find it kind of interesting and am learning a lot.
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you too! :smile:
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Concur with EhuntRN above. I rarely eat back all of my calories as well. I try to eat back about 50-75%. The strategy seems to be working well for me.

God Bless!

Shawn