Nursing

Options
Hello all!
I'm a nursing mom to a 3 month old... does anyone know how this would effect my caloric intake for the day?
Thanks!

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You need to add 500 calories to the goal that MFP sets for you. OR, you can leave your goal as it is, and add breastfeeding into your food diary every day (it adds negative calories, increasing your total goal for the day) or as exercise (which also increases your daily goal). If it were me, I'd probably add them manually and just leave it, because I know I'd forget to add it every day. But I think most nursing moms on here just add it daily so they can see that burn. Whatever works for you. :)
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Think i heard that the caloric burn for breast feeding is 500 calories so you have to adjust accordingly. Look into that number but know you do have to keep intake higher. If you find otherwise please send me a tell just so I will not be be handing out wrong info in future. Also congrats to new member of family [if that is all them in pic very lovely]).
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    In your food log search "breastfeeding", then choose/add the appropriate level for your situation. It will add the calories to your daily intake goal.
  • taracotta
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks everyone, that is very helpful. Looking forward to using this site!
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm also a breastfeeding mommy....my son will be 4 months on Monday. Like others have posted, you can either add 500 calories to your daily total or add it from the food database everyday. I add mine in everyday because it's not only extra calories that you need from breastfeeding, you need more protein, fiber, carbs, etc. The entry I use subtracts these from my totals as well as the calories.

Also, remember that the 500 is only if you are exclusively breastfeeding. Once you start feeding your baby cereal or food and decrease the amount you breastfeed, you'll need to lower your calories :happy:

Good luck on your weight loss journey!!!