Inches but not pounds :(

Options
Maybe I have unrealistic expectations, but I need some advice. I have been at this for two weeks now, eating almost completely healthy, always under my calorie goals and working out everyday. The first week I lost eight pounds right away and now this week the scale hasn't moved at all. I've lost a few inches, but it's so discouraging.The last time I was on a diet a few years back the weight came off so easy, and I wasn't even working out!? Has this happened to anyone else?

Replies

• vartanfan71
    vartanfan71 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yes its been happening to me for quite a few weeks! I just upped my protein and hope it will keep going away...also exercise too! Then I decided to do atkins and I am going to try that for a couple weeks.!
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    the pounds will come off...especially since you are loosing inches...i know its hard but try to be patient...when you plateau like that a good thing to do is change the exercise you are doing...either what kind or the intensity
  • malisa22
    malisa22 Posts: 2
    Options
    If your working out you might not start seeing the scale move for a while. Muscle weighs more than fat. I am having the same results but my clothes are getting looser. Good luck.
  • fatfreeme2011
    Options
    Make sure that whatever exercising your doing that u are entering it into your MFP PROFILE because u have to up the calories when u exercise so if u working out working out working out and then jus eating your reg. calories then maybe that is where your problem is. the more u work out the more u have to eat :smile:
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I've been exercising about an hour a day/six days a week for 32 days now. Even after counting every calorie and being under my goal all but about 1-2 times, my scale has officially only gone down 5.5 pounds. However, I've lost over 10" total and I've lost 2% body fat. I know right now I'm building muscle and that's why the scale is slow to go down. I keep reminding myself that this will take time because I didn't put my weight on in just a few months. So, hang in there, you're on the right track. Just keep on doing what you're doing and it will come off.

I was thin all my life until after I had my second child. When my weight didn't come off in two weeks time like my previous pregnancy, I just gave up and never did anything about it until now. The only reason I say that is so that you'll know I lost weight very quickly and slowly before. This time though, I'm looking to make a permanent lifestyle change.

Wishing you all the best in your weight loss goals. You can do it!
  • as1789
    as1789 Posts: 46
    Options
    That exact thing happened to me. It was so frustrating. I realized I wasn't eating enough calories. Either that or my body was still trying to adjust to this new lifestyle. I just figured if I kept working out and eating right it would have to come off. The next week I lost two pounds and this week 3, so it seems to be working out...Don't give up!
  • cupcake18
    cupcake18 Posts: 29
    Options
    When I started it was 2 weeks before I lost anything. I am also loosing inches not pounds but I can tell in the way that my clothes are fiting, If you are loosing either way it is a plus. Good job on your 8 lbs.:bigsmile:
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You didn't loose 8lb of fat in the first week, I guarantee. That weight could've been all sorts of things but only 1-2lb were likely to be fat. This is why that's a once off weight loss, something you can't keep doing every week (physically impossible).

If you're serious about loosing fat, it takes time, and you've just begun. You should count on 6 months at the absolute fastest if you're trying to lose 43lb. Thats giving you a very aggressive and ambitious fat-loss target of almost 2lb / week.
    More realistically, you might be able to stick with 2lb / week for the first 20-25lb if you're serious (about 10-12 weeks), then slow down to 1lb / week for the next 10lb (bringing it up to 20-22 weeks), then if you're truly dedicated you might get the last 10lb at a rate of about 1lb / 2-4 weeks. (bringing it up to around 40 weeks if you really want to go all the way).

If people tell you otherwise, its because they're selling you something. If this sounds daunting, just think what you would give to have done this last year, and then think about how you will feel next year when you can look back and say that you actually did do it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    I know you would rather see weight come off, but think of it this way, it is better having inches coming off, not pounds rather than the other way around. Imagine if you had lost a bunch of weight, but had not lost an inch. If that was happening to you, I am guess you would be much more unhappy. Inches off is a very good thing. The weight will come as you are changing your body composition already.
  • kari1740
    kari1740 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Let me know how the Atkins works, I'm not a huge meat fan but if its effective I'm willing to try it!
  • kari1740
    Options
    You didn't loose 8lb of fat in the first week, I guarantee. That weight could've been all sorts of things but only 1-2lb were likely to be fat. This is why that's a once off weight loss, something you can't keep doing every week (physically impossible).

If you're serious about loosing fat, it takes time, and you've just begun. You should count on 6 months at the absolute fastest if you're trying to lose 43lb. Thats giving you a very aggressive and ambitious fat-loss target of almost 2lb / week.
    More realistically, you might be able to stick with 2lb / week for the first 20-25lb if you're serious (about 10-12 weeks), then slow down to 1lb / week for the next 10lb (bringing it up to 20-22 weeks), then if you're truly dedicated you might get the last 10lb at a rate of about 1lb / 2-4 weeks. (bringing it up to around 40 weeks if you really want to go all the way).

If people tell you otherwise, its because they're selling you something. If this sounds daunting, just think what you would give to have done this last year, and then think about how you will feel next year when you can look back and say that you actually did do it.
  • kari1740
    Options
    Thanks, you are probably right. I just set my goal to high which leads to disappointment. I'll be happy with whatever I lose before the wedding :) Thanks for the advice!
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I was stuck for weeks, but then I started losing again. You just have to focus on the positives. Inches lost and your overall better health from making wiser choices. Hang in there, we can do this!!!
  • mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    ive been "stuck" for about two weeks now too. But i keep hearing that its normal so keep pushing..... i intend to, hope you do too:happy:
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Inches are great!!! Why be disappointed? The pounds are nice yes, but it's the lost INCHES (the slimmer waist and slender arms) that are going to make you look AMAZING in your wedding dress, not the number on the scale. You're doing great and you're going to be a beautiful bride! Be happy with ALL of your accomplishments, weight isn't the ONLY thing that matters here! :D
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Inches are definitely what matter.

One pound of muscle = one pound of fat. The difference is, that the one pound of muscle is much smaller than the one pound of fat. This is why someone who is more muscular can weigh more and yet be smaller than someone who has more fat, weighs less and is bigger.

Just keep at it, especially if you're losing inches.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
  • Jess21684
    Jess21684 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    girl, I hear ya! u are not alone! I feel like the scale just isnt going down the way I would think it should be but my pants are soooo much looser in the waist and my clothes just feel loser everywhere on me. I def think im dropping inches faster than what the scale is showing me but as everyone says, eventually that scale will go down. your making progress and losing inches so you ARE getting smaller despite what the scale might be throwing at you. the scale factors in so many other things and goes up and down all the time but if your losing inches and those clothes are getting looser than you are doing everything right and hey its a good thing that you are getting smaller..! I guess we just need patience, keep at it and hopefully that scale will start going down
  • vdaniela3
    vdaniela3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That's all I've seem to be losing is inches. Been doing this since Jan 5, and for about a month I was stuck at a 5 lb lose. Was so ready to quit, but my sister helped me through it. I don't even weigh myself anymore to check for a lose, just to make sure I'm not going up. I believe I'm averaging about a 1.5 lb lose a week even though its not coming off at the end of each week. It will all catch up on the scale eventually, plus as long as you're not going back in the opposite direction, you're accomplishing something right?
    Hang in there, its frustrating,but the scale will catch up.
  • mrsshazbat
    Options
    In 2009 when I was doing Slimming World, I lost 15 inches all over but only about 2lbs in weight during a 16-week period! (I was trying to lose 2st for my brother's wedding)

I think losing inches does focus the mind but I agree that it's nice to see something less on the scales each week.