NOt sure where to post

Options
wiffe
wiffe Posts: 224 Member
I'm new. I dont know where to post this question so I'll put it here.

How do you log food that you create? Say I make Sloppy Joes. I use hamburger and A1steak sauce and some ketchup. How would I record that?

How about meatloaf?
Homemade spaghetti?

Basically things that don't come with labels?

Thanks

Replies

• JD1805
    JD1805 Posts: 45
    Options
    Good question.. I am just answering so i can follow the post better ..
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    under food there is a recipe section and it will create all the info for you as you put ingredients in.
  • cookingcriolla
    Options
    Hi - look under the food tab and you'll see recipes. You name the recipe, add the ingredients and how many servings and save. Just make sure you save it in your own data base instead of public data base.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options

^^^This is called "BUMPING"

To the OP- Enter the ingredients into the recipe maker and click "add to diary".
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    The recipe tab under food. I LOVE that tool. I cook every day, and most things I make up the recipe for. I am using alternatives to sugar and flour and this tool really helps me count my calories.

Good luck!
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    BTW you are eating crap...
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options

^^^This is called "BUMPING"

To the OP- Enter the ingredients into the recipe maker and click "add to diary".
    O.T. But I would rather read what she wrote than "Bump". lol
  • crjugrl
    crjugrl Posts: 172
    Options
    BTW you are eating crap...

tumblr_lhnxzl2rJE1qe0tgxo1_r1_500.gif
  • maximuslupus
    Options
    That's cute.
  • wiffe
    Options
    Was the comment to me about eating crap? I do have other's in the house I have to cook for. Sorry my 4 year old isn't going to eat salads for the rest of her life.
  • crjugrl
    Options
    Was the comment to me about eating crap? I do have other's in the house I have to cook for. Sorry my 4 year old isn't going to eat salads for the rest of her life.

Hey, it's just me and my hubby here and we eat that crap too. Oh and I'm still losing weight :wink:. Anyway, I use that recipe tool all the time and it really makes it so much easier to stay within my calories. I'm sure you'll find it very useful :smile:. In fact, I think I'll make sloppy joes tomorrow! I make mine with ground turkey. Thanks for the idea.
  • wiffe
    Options
    Now do I just try to record teh whole recipe? I think this is why I always had trouble with trying to start weight watchers. Easy when you can figure out points but then adding things got me confused.

Like for my meatloaf. I know how much hamburger, eggs and crackers I will use but I don't know serving sizes or a serving of my meatloaf. I can weigh what I eat but will it figure out the calories for me?

Can you tell this is confusing for me.
  • crjugrl
    Options
    Now do I just try to record teh whole recipe? I think this is why I always had trouble with trying to start weight watchers. Easy when you can figure out points but then adding things got me confused.

Like for my meatloaf. I know how much hamburger, eggs and crackers I will use but I don't know serving sizes or a serving of my meatloaf. I can weigh what I eat but will it figure out the calories for me?

Can you tell this is confusing for me.

How ever many portions you can make from your recipe are your serving sizes. Say you make a meatloaf; put all the ingredients into the recipe tool. If you then cut your meatloaf into 10 even slices, MFP does all the math for you. It will take all of the calories of all the ingredients into consideration and then divide it by 10. 1 slice would then equal 1 serving. Does that make sense? I know it's a little confusing, but it's really not so bad once you get the hang of it. It may not be 100% accurate, but if you estimate, it really doesn't have to be perfect. I don't own a scale and so far this method has been working for me.