Cycle class

Options
Does anyone do a cycle class at the gym? I do. I love it! Man i walk out of there feeling so strong..and like I really tried my hardest. Tonight I burned 966 calories!!!! Crazy. That is according to my Polar HRM.

I am drenched with sweat....time for a shower and some sleepytime tea!

Replies

• chubbymom
    chubbymom Posts: 164
    Options
    Does anyone do a cycle class at the gym? I do. I love it! Man i walk out of there feeling so strong..and like I really tried my hardest. Tonight I burned 966 calories!!!! Crazy. That is according to my Polar HRM.

I am drenched with sweat....time for a shower and some sleepytime tea!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    How long was the class. I do a 60 minute one 3x a week. I'm only giving myself 643 calories for it. Maybe I'm cheating myself.
  • joey16g
    joey16g Posts: 63
    Options
    I do a 45 min class and figure 500-550...what do you think? Is that about right? I have no idea how to tell...
  • BBCoachKel72
    BBCoachKel72 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I normally do my spinning class outside on the open road :happy:
    But for the winter months I might take up indoor spinning again. I use to do the class a few times a week. It really was fun with the right trainer. :bigsmile:
  • chubbymom
    Options
    This class is 60 minutes. I was in there for about 10 minutes just riding with no intensity. So it was probably more like 900 for the actual 60 minutes...but heck who cares!

45 minutes when I have taken that one I burn between 680-780.

I love my HRM. If you can get one its totally worth the price!

So do you think 3x a week is good or should I do more? I actually prefer it more than other cardio! :tongue:
  • chubbymom
    Options
    Oh and I want to add...it does depend on your size age etc. With my polar I put my age, sex, weight, height all that in....I am 240lbs so I probably burn more than say someone who weighs 180.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I took a 50 minute class tonight and my HRM said I burned 518 calories. These are by far my favorite classes. I try to get in 3 per week along with the running I have recently taken up.
  • donnagilmore
    Options
    I've been interested in taking a spin class at my gym. I walk past the room and see the sign that says burn 700 calories in one hour. And I think yeah right I would die. It looks so intensive. Is it as hard as it looks? I dont want to humiliate myself in front of the whole class.
  • lynzz
    lynzz Posts: 45
    Options
    I love spin class too!!

I was a die hard elliptical cardio person until my hubby talked me into spinning......now I look forward to every class!! It seems that I can burn so many more calories spinning and I feel that it really kicks my butt!!! So far I have only done about 10-12 classes but I feel I am getting better everytime. I have been doing 4 a week. Tonight I was so bummed because the class was full :frown: -- I had to get on the elliptical.

Does anyone know if spin (indoor cycling) shoes make a difference? I am considering buying a pair, but wonder if it is worth it???
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    They are pretty intense. I went to one yesterday and I looked like I had been in a swimming pool when I came out!
  • luvlee884
    luvlee884 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love spin class too!!

I was a die hard elliptical cardio person until my hubby talked me into spinning......now I look forward to every class!! It seems that I can burn so many more calories spinning and I feel that it really kicks my butt!!!

Wel then I'm going to try spinning - cause I love the ellipical. Spinning looked soo intense - but I'm going to give it a shot!!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I love spin class too!!

I was a die hard elliptical cardio person until my hubby talked me into spinning......now I look forward to every class!! It seems that I can burn so many more calories spinning and I feel that it really kicks my butt!!! So far I have only done about 10-12 classes but I feel I am getting better everytime. I have been doing 4 a week. Tonight I was so bummed because the class was full :frown: -- I had to get on the elliptical.

Does anyone know if spin (indoor cycling) shoes make a difference? I am considering buying a pair, but wonder if it is worth it???

The soles are harder than your regular tennis shoes. I don't wear them but I think it does make a difference in comfort.
  • sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    I have been cheating myself... I usually give myself 400 calories for it...
    I made it twice this week...
    Definitely the most bang for your buck as far as burning cals and classes go I think!!!

I made it 4 whole days with in my food goal, low carbs, and my workouts!!! wahooo!
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    I love it!!! I go on Tuesday and Thursday morning and then I teach spinning on Wednesday eveneings. The spin group is such a fun bunch of people!!
  • chubbymom
    Options
    We always have such a good time. The instructors are nice, and play loud awesome music to cycle too!

I also look like I just got out of the swimming pool! :tongue:

You can make the class as hard as you want. In my class you turn up and down your resistance so if it is too hard dont give up just turn down your resistance and keep moving!!!!
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I love spin class too!!

I use cycling shoes. Find you get to work your legs more, able to really push AND pull much more effectively and really feel the muscles working while I am spinning.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I love spinning! Unfortunately since I have very strong legs and have a difficult time increasing my HR while seated, I only burn about 350 cals for a 45 minute class. It definitely feels like more, but oh well, it's still fun.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Spin class is a challenge, but don't be afraid to give it a try. In all of the classes I've attended there was no dishonor in taking it easy for a few minutes if you're not able to keep up with the class yet. But don't just spin easily for the whole hour. Try to keep up with the class as much as possible, take a break and free spin if you need to, then rejoin the class in a couple of minutes.