what does raw mean?

Options
I was looking in the food database for just like a broiled chicken breasts or something (no skin), anyways I don't understand what it means when it says raw afterwards. Obviously nobody is going to actually eat it raw, does that just mean with nothing added? I would appreciate some help here, I am trying to come up with other stuff to eat. Thanks!

Replies

• rebasmart
    Options
    I was looking in the food database for just like a broiled chicken breasts or something (no skin), anyways I don't understand what it means when it says raw afterwards. Obviously nobody is going to actually eat it raw, does that just mean with nothing added? I would appreciate some help here, I am trying to come up with other stuff to eat. Thanks!
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think it literally means RAW - not sure why it's in there, cause like you said, no one is actually going to eat raw chicken, but I really think that's what it's supposed to mean.

I know I am not a whole lot of help, SORRY!!!! :ohwell:
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You know what Reba that is a DARN good question, and I noticed that from WAY back when.
    I wonder if you are right and that means with nothing added.
    WHY would they state RAW! Are their people that eat raw chicken? ICK :sick: :tongue: UCKO
    I know of people who eat raw to simi cooked BEEF! :noway: :sick: :tongue: EwwIcky BLUCKO!
    --Diann...
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    It is not that you are going to eat it raw but more like if you took its weight before cooking it. Like with me. Sometimes I weigh the piece of chicken on my foodscale (when its raw) and count the raw points.

For another...beef, chicken, fish, etc.
  • erin83070
    erin83070 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use the raw measurements when I'm calculating a recipe. I made meatballs the other night and used the raw measurement before cooking. When making another recipe that that used 1/2 cup cooked beef. I used the cooked measure.

At least, that's what I thought it meant...now I'm really curious.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    That would be the portion size prior to cooking.