Is there a substitute for Olive Oil?

Options
Rubie81
Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
This includes Extra Virgin.
Seriously, had a chick pea salad for lunch and just put two tablespoons of EVOO, of course that's a whopping 240 calories, ugh.
So what do you put on your veggies and salads? My salads I usually bathe in balsamic vinegar and avoid olive oil at all cost but man, it sure would taste better with the EVOO.

Replies

• stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    When I was going super low fat (which looking back - is just dumb) I would always get lemon wedges and spray them over my salads, then sprinkle salt and pepper to create my own calorie/fat free dressing. It's good and still works when for some reason I'm out of calories or have to improvise.

Olive oil is a really really really really really good thing to eat though - I would cut out the bread or empty calories that came with dinner (for example) and keep the olive oil in!

Steve
    KnightFit.com
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I love balsamic vinegar also, I could eat just about anything with it. But as for a substitute for olive oil I have no idea.
  • harliquinnraver
    Options
    maybe just use a teaspoon or two of the olive oil? all oil is fairly high in calories.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    This includes Extra Virgin.
    Seriously, had a chick pea salad for lunch and just put two tablespoons of EVOO, of course that's a whopping 240 calories, ugh.
    So what do you put on your veggies and salads? My salads I usually bathe in balsamic vinegar and avoid olive oil at all cost but man, it sure would taste better with the EVOO.

I make my own balsamic vinaigrette - half balsamic vinegar, half EVOO with a bunch of spices - and use it on all my salads. I use 2 TBSP on a salad, so it's only about 125 calories total since it's half vinegar.

EVOO has many health benefits if used in moderation - it's one of the healthiest fats you can eat. I wouldn't replace it, just mix it with something so you use a little less!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with the above. Use it more sparingly perhaps, but evoo is a good thing to have.
  • Bisbeegal
    Bisbeegal Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't substitute. I just buy olive oil in a spray can. I use it to "saute" mushroom, red peppers, etc. by spraying the bottom of the pan lightly and then spraying the tops of the veggies. It uses a fraction of what you would use to sautee using bottled oil. You can lightly spay olive oil on salads and add your spices and vinegar.
  • arfdemob5
    arfdemob5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    For our salads we cut up all the goodies (cucumbers, tomato, mushrooms, you name it) and put in small containers for each serving. I use Annie's Naturals salad dressings, they have some very flavorful dressings with low sodium. In each of these containers I put 1 tbsp of the salad dressing and shake it up. I let it sit in the fridge for several hours. When its time to eat my salad, I put lettuce on the plate then dump my "goodie" container on top. I have found (for me) that this is plenty dressing and I'd rather have a natural dressing than some low fat chemically goop.

My other amazing discovery is instead of sauteeing veggies in olive oil I now use a small amount of low sodium tomato juice. It keeps the pan moist and cooks down adding flavor to any meal, with no added fat!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    evoo although cal heavy is a fantastic source of good fats, so just go lighter on it, however I would not stop using it.
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Grapeola brand grape seed oil? Has higher levels of your omega's than EVOO, a higher smoke point, tastes sweeter, and same cals as evoo. I use it for everything needing oil. Make a vinaigrette with it and taste the difference.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    All oils are liquid fats and should be approached in moderation, but oils that are low in mono unsaturated fat (like olive oil) have so many health benefits it is not a good idea to remove them from your diet. The only good substitute for olive oil, then, would be another oil that is high in mono unsaturated fat (walnut and grapeseed being two examples). This page has a chart listing several and their breakdown of amino acids:

http://www.latourangelle.com/nutrition.php
  • Rubie81
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful information. Hmm, Grapeseed oil, never heard of it but sounds yummy.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    My other amazing discovery is instead of sauteeing veggies in olive oil I now use a small amount of low sodium tomato juice. It keeps the pan moist and cooks down adding flavor to any meal, with no added fat!

I made a mental note of this one... sounds yummy!
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Paul Newmans low fat sesamee ginger salad dressing is by far my favorite.... ITS DELISH! And my nature I am a thick and creamy salad dressing kind of girl.
  • Gmnidrm
    Gmnidrm Posts: 7
    Options
    I am new to this site and I think it will be perfect for my weight and fitness goals. I am in the transition of switching to everything coconut! I use coconut oil for cooking, baking, and as a skin/hair moisturizer. I drink lots of coconut water and now replacing dairy milk to coconut milk. I plan to try coconut oil and vinagar for a salad dressing. Hope that helps for something new that you may not have thought of. If you haven't discovered all the benefits of Coconut just google it.

Looking forward to making new friends :happy:
  • Rubie81
    Options
    I've heard good things about coconut oil.
    Paul Newman....how many cal? Will be keeping this in mind.
    Keep the ideas coming. You guys are making me hungry, lol.
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    7. Extra Virgin Olive Oil. 70% monounsaturated fats that protect against heart diseases and cancer. Add 1-2 tbsp olive oil to your salads. Buy Extra Virgin Olive Oil: it contains more polyphenols and tastes better.

Read the post about 20 foods you should eat. You will find it very intereesting.
  • Rubie81
    Options
    Thank you.
    I know EVOO is good for me it's just a huge bummer when I am couting calories and have to add that in....BUT, as some one mentioned, I could for sure cut out in other places, like the cup of rice I like to eat almost daily :blushing:
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    i would like to use EVOO too, but it does have alot of calories. Although it is all good fat, i still dont use it. for cooking i will use the olive oil spray, but for salads, i love balsamic too, so i use a light balasmic ving. I like Kens Steak House Light Balsamic Ving. I thik it is about 30 cals a tablespoon or something like that and tastes great! Trader Joes has a Fat Free Balsamic Ving that is also very good. Not sure if you have that store though. If I need oil to cook with and cant use the spray, i just use canola.
  • missmeagan89
    Options
    I know that if you are lookin for something healthy to grease a pan or saute veggies in, using chicken broth is healthy!
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    For our salads we cut up all the goodies (cucumbers, tomato, mushrooms, you name it) and put in small containers for each serving. I use Annie's Naturals salad dressings, they have some very flavorful dressings with low sodium. In each of these containers I put 1 tbsp of the salad dressing and shake it up. I let it sit in the fridge for several hours. When its time to eat my salad, I put lettuce on the plate then dump my "goodie" container on top. I have found (for me) that this is plenty dressing and I'd rather have a natural dressing than some low fat chemically goop.

What great ideas. I will have to try the tomato juice...sounds awesome.