Low Fat/Low Cal Tiramisu

Options
gailygail99
gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
Ok, so I was watching the FoodNetwork (the enemy) and saw a Tiramisu being made. I almost died, since this is my favorite dessert! I started to look on line for any low cal recipes. I found some but I want one that is as close to a traditional one as possible. I mean it needs to have lady fingers, not some angel food cake or light pound cake, and marscapone cheese in it. Although. I could get away with changing that up a little. Oh and please, no cool whip!! We all should know that cool whip is LOADED partially hydrogenated oils that raise your cholesterol through the roof!! If you have a recipe, I would love for you to share it. Thanks :noway:

Replies

• Kiwijay
    Kiwijay Posts: 216
    Options
    My mother and I have been doing a course where they make one with sponge dipped in coffee and layer it up with coffee yoghurt and it is absolutely DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is topped with almonds, blueberries, or other fruit and a berry yoghurt. I know it doesn't sound that delish but believe me I am like you and LOVE tiramisu and I would/could and did really enjoy it!

Hope you find something that helps though

:flowerforyou:
  • vanrunninggirl
    Options
    my mother-in-law is italian and she showed me how to make tiramisu from sweetened condensed milk and cream cheese as an alternative to mascapone (i think she does this as a remnant from her younger days when raising lots of hungry kids on a budget). it is also one of my favourites until i watched her make it at which point i was HORRIFIED because i knew i could never eat her recipe again (i already knew i couldn't eat the traditional recipe with mascapone). So, after she left, I recreated her recipe using splenda, light cream cheese, skim milk and a splash of baileys, along with ladyfingers and espresso. The filling is really your choice as long as the consistency is right, and then you just need to make sure the ladyfingers are soaked through so that they don't stay hard and crunchy. i make mine in individual ceramic creme brulee cups and just put the ladyfingers all the way around and the filling in the center. you can't live the rest of your life without tiramisu so that's my 2 cents. next time i'm going to try it with a bit of cointreau or triple sec instead of baileys for a splash of orange flavour.
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    thanks guys!! i know, a life without tiramisu, we would all die!! i think i am going to give it a try this wknd and will post back with the recipe i come up with and the nutrition info too! Ciao! :tongue:
  • MiladyMetal
    MiladyMetal Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    my mother-in-law is italian and she showed me how to make tiramisu from sweetened condensed milk and cream cheese as an alternative to mascapone (i think she does this as a remnant from her younger days when raising lots of hungry kids on a budget). it is also one of my favourites until i watched her make it at which point i was HORRIFIED because i knew i could never eat her recipe again (i already knew i couldn't eat the traditional recipe with mascapone). So, after she left, I recreated her recipe using splenda, light cream cheese, skim milk and a splash of baileys, along with ladyfingers and espresso. The filling is really your choice as long as the consistency is right, and then you just need to make sure the ladyfingers are soaked through so that they don't stay hard and crunchy. i make mine in individual ceramic creme brulee cups and just put the ladyfingers all the way around and the filling in the center. you can't live the rest of your life without tiramisu so that's my 2 cents. next time i'm going to try it with a bit of cointreau or triple sec instead of baileys for a splash of orange flavour.
    That sounds like a yummy alternative. I must try it soon, cuz I am having tiramisu withdrawals. I agree life without tiramisu would be the end of me. :sad: :cry: :bigsmile: :laugh:

PS Curious would half of mascarpone cheese and light cream cheese suffice and still be tasty and somewhat healthy? I am thinking some baileys with kahlua would be to die for in this recipe, almost like having a mudslide tiramisu! XD