Protein

Options
Hi All,

I'm just curious to know whats a normal for daily protein intake.

My suggested amount seems really low.

Any assitance is appreciated
thanks

Replies

• rebrafe
    rebrafe Posts: 64
    Options
    I eat over 100g per day and mine is set for around 40 or so...I prefer to eat high protein, mid range on fat and low carbs. I just feel so much better overall.
  • Brucifer55
    Options
    Anything less than 45g and I just start feeling loopy. I shoot for 75g, but most of the time it is closer to 90-100g by the end of the day.
  • ashmo1785
    ashmo1785 Posts: 117
    Options
    Oh good my intake is normally about 70 - 100gs so that makes me feel a bit better cause i;ve been eating over the 45g its saying i should be eatting.
  • sgj81
    sgj81 Posts: 5
    Options
    I thought women should eat 2 protein meals a day of around 90-120g each?
  • ashmo1785
    Options
    Not sure sar maybe we should look it up
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    So glad to see this on here because I was going to post about it. I go over almost every day on what they suggest!
  • campbell1526
    Options
    I'm not sure if this will help much, mostly because there is a lot of (mis-)information out there on the topic. For maintenance purposes, the general number I've been seeing is 0.5-0.7g of protein per pound of body weight. Body builders may still need 1-2g per lb. Either way, you want to spread it out over the day. Too much protein at once will probably be a waste (60+ grams in a meal).

You can go into your goals and make adjustments to your calorie intake percentages. I have my protein set to 30% and have trouble even hitting that mark most days. Basically, it isn't a problem to be going over your protein mark, so long as you aren't going overboard (more than 2 g per lb) and drink plenty of water.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Campbell's response is correct. You should eat 0.8-1 gram of protein for every pound you weight unless you lift heavy weights vigorously. Then you need 1.5 grams per pound.

Oh yes, and you should try to aim to get at least 15-25 grams at each meal. Not always easy so just do the best you can. But try not to go over 30 grams per meal as it's too hard on your kidneys.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I've been aiming for .5-1g per pound. As I increase my exercise, I'll be aiming at 1g per pound.
  • darthpistachio
    darthpistachio Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The formula is actually per KG not per LB.

The RDA recommend a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein per Kilogram of bodyweight to safeguard against protein deficiency.

1g per KG should be good for optimal health and professional athletes and bodybuilders usually look to consume from 1.8 - 2 g per KG.

A quick google search will reveal pages upon pages that back that up... ;o)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=&q=dietary+protein+requirement&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGLL_en-GB___GB392&ie=UTF-8
  • jcoltx
    jcoltx Posts: 14
    Options
    My question is about protein...what are good proteins to add that don't bump up the carbs aswell?
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm just curious to know whats a normal for daily protein intake.

My suggested amount seems really low.

Any assitance is appreciated
    thanks
    that would depend more on your goals, I eat 1 g for every pound of bodyweight but my goal is to gain muscle and lose fat, but for the average person the amount mfp suggests is not to bad, protein will keep you full longer but my advice is to determine your goals and tailor that amount to your needs.
  • ashmo1785
    Options
    Thanks Darth very helpful :)

My intake is about right then.