stoped smoking

Options
I stop smoking and gained 20 lbs.:angry:
help i am working at eating less and i am stell gaining wight.
What can i do?

Replies

• akbluebell
    Options
    where is spell check
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting smoking! Quitting is more important than losing weight, IMO. So you did the hardest thing. Now to focus on the weight loss. Have you started counting calories? Hoping someone who has 'been there done that' has something more helpful to say.
  • akbluebell
    Options
    Hay thanks, You are right the hard part is over :)
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I gave up smoking nearly a year ago and then took up a nasty eating habit. I gained 15kg over a very short amount of time, I ate like crazy over the christmas period. I cooked and just ate massive amounts of empty calories as in lollies and very sweet things that normally didn't appeal to me. I think finally I'm over that "I deserve this" stage of over indulgence. I'm starting to learn how to eat normally while not being a smoker. I think it's really hard to learn how to do this, and I still struggle with temptation daily.

If you look at it like this, for 10+ years every waking hour I would treat myself with a cigarette. Now without cigarettes what am doing every hour or so?? It's all a learning curve but I tell you what, I'd never ever ever go back to smoking.
  • Tiberg13
    Tiberg13 Posts: 11
    Options
    Congrats!! I quit nearly 8 months ago, put on a stone, and here I am trying to lose it. Feel free to buddy up if you want some support....
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    Some weight gain is expected as your body just lost a stimulant. Just remember the reasons for quitting and work on other healthy habits. You are at the right spot! I quit a year ago and while I still miss it sometimes (even "reached" in my purse for one the other day-hehe) I really don't want to do it again. Stay with this site and you have lots of support!
  • ShonzG
    ShonzG Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi - Well done with the quitting smoking! I had my last cigarette on 9 January 2007 and haven't looked back...!!! Yes, I did put on weight, but just ignored it, and I'm was that same weight when I started on here...

If you put your mind to it, don't eat the crap that I ate, you should be ok.

I hope this works out for you, but whatever you do, don't have another cigarette.... Just don't go there!

Good luck!

Shonz
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Good for you on quitting smoking! I quit in June last year and pack on some pounds too. I'm now working on losing that weight and not looking back. I feel better now than i have in my life! your on the right track, just keep with the diet and exercise and you'll get there.