Weird food facts

Options
So I got this app on my phone "10000 Cool Facts" that has several sort of food related items that I think are interesting - what are yours?

The name "Wendy" was made up for the book Pete Pan.

Asparagus comes in three colors: green, white and purple.

About half of all americans are on a diet on any given day.

During the Easter season, 6000 million Marshmallow Peeps are bought by Americans. the Marshmallow Peep is the most popular Easter candy besides chocholate.

People will swallow about 8 spiders in their lifetime.

The 7-11 Extreme Gulp is 50% bigger than the volume of the human stomach.

A quarter of raw potato placed in each shoe at night will keep the leather soft and the shoes smelling fresh and clean.

Replies

• AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Some of these I already new. The one about the spider... I did not need to know that. LOL YUK!!!:sick:
  • Xav8tor
    Xav8tor Posts: 23
    Options
    A typical American eats 28 pigs in his/her lifetime.

Americans eat 20.7 pounds of candy per person annually. The Dutch eat three times as much.

Americans spend approximately $25 billion each year on beer.

Americans spent an estimated $267 billion dining out in 1993.

An etiquette writer of the 1840's advised, "Ladies may wipe their lips on the tablecloth, but not blow their noses on it."

Aunt Jemima pancake flour, invented in 1889, was the first ready-mix food to be sold commercially.

Caffeine: there are 100 to 150 milligrams of caffeine in an eight-ounce cup of brewed coffee, 10 milligrams in a six-ounce cup of cocoa, 5 to 10 milligrams in one ounce of bittersweet chocolate, and 5 milligrams in one ounce of milk chocolate.

California's Frank Epperson invented the Popsicle in 1905 when he was 11-years-old.

Capsaicin, which makes hot peppers "hot" to the human mouth, is best neutralized by casein, the main protein found in milk.

Cast iron skillets used to be the leading source of iron in the American diet!

China's Beijing Duck Restaurant can seat 9,000 people at one time.

Chocolate contains phenyl ethylamine (PEA), a natural substance that is reputed to stimulate the same reaction in the body as falling in love.

World wide, consumers spend more than $7 billion a year on chocolate. Annual per capita consumption of chocolate is 12 pounds per person.

Each American eats an average of 51 pounds of chocolate per year.

Fortune cookies were invented in 1916 by George Jung, a Los Angeles noodle maker.

Fried chicken is the most popular meal ordered in sit-down restaurants in the US. The next in popularity are: roast beef, spaghetti, turkey, baked ham, and fried shrimp.

Goulash, a beef soup, originated in Hungary in the 9th century AD.

Source: http://www.bitoffun.com/fun_facts_food.htm
  • Xav8tor
    Options
    American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating one olive from each salad in first class.

You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television.

McDonalds calls frequent buyers of their food heavy users.

Americans ate eight million more orders of french fries and almost six million more hamburgers this year compared to last.

Consuming chocolate was once considered a sin during the 16th and 17th century.

Coca-Cola used to contain cocaine when it was initially introduced.

Acorns were used as a coffee substitute during the American Civil War.

Chocolate was used as medicine during the 18th century. It was believed that chocolate could cure a stomach ache.

The only "real" food that U.S. Astronauts are allowed to take into space is pecan nuts.

Hershey's Kisses are called that because the machine that makes them looks like it's kissing the conveyor belt.

Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.

The average chocolate bar has 8 insects' legs in it.

Grapes explode when you put them in the microwave. You have been warned!

Source:
    http://www.stunning-stuff.com/list-funny-facts/6.html?pg=2
  • Xav8tor
    Options
    Apple, Potato, Or Onion?

Fascinating Fact: Apples, potatoes, and onions all taste the same when eaten with your nose plugged.

As a child we had a science class in which we were blindfolded, had our noses plugged, and given an apple or onion to eat – we were not told which of the two we would be given. Not one person was able to state which was which. This shows the incredibly important part that the nose plays in the sense of taste. The fact that the three items have a similar consistency makes it virtually impossible to tell them apart without the sense of smell. If you try this, I should warn you: once you unblock your nose, you can tell what you have just eaten.

Floating Eggs

Fascinating Fact: When an egg floats in water, it is “off” and should not be eaten.

As eggs age, gases build up inside the shell making it more buoyant. This is the best way to test whether an egg has gone rotten without having to break open the shell, risking the foul odor escaping. When an egg is extremely fresh it will lie on its side at the bottom of a glass of water. As it ages, the egg will begin to point upwards, and will finally float completely when it has gone bad. Fresh eggs have a very firm white, whilst old eggs have a very watery white. This is why it is best to use the freshest eggs possible for poaching and frying. Older eggs are perfectly good for omelets or scrambling.

Feast

The Fact: The largest food item on a menu is roast camel

The camel is stuffed with a sheep’s carcass, which is stuffed with chickens, which are stuffed with fish, which are stuffed with eggs. This feast is sometimes featured in Bedou
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Does MFP have the nutritional info for "spider" in its database?
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    lol - I just want to know how many of my allotment have I eaten so far.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I believe the one about apples being better at waking you up in the morning. When I worked third shift, apples were my 2 a.m. snack and I always said they gave me a boost, but no one ever believed me.