New digital scale

Options
Hi Everyone!

So I just bought a really cool new digital scale! actually makes me excited to weigh myself :laugh: . It measures weight, hydration, bone mass, and bmi and it tracks your last 12 weighins! was inexpensive and super easy to set up. the only downside is that it's about 3.5 lbs off from my old dial scale. so i weighed myself this morning on both scales: 182 on the old and 185.6 on the new. disappointing. plus no weigh lost this week due to TOM so doubly disappointed :( BUT lost 2 inches, including another 1/2 in off hips! YAY!!!

So now I have a question: how do I transition on MFP from my old scale to new? If I just put in my new weight with the new scale it will say I gained 3.6 lbs. Does that matter? Or should I mentally subtract the difference before entering it? Any thoughts, comments, suggestions???

Thanks everyone! And stay motivated! Spring is almost here!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing your new scale is the more accurate of the two so I'd go with the new numbers. Since you know you have lost 4 pounds you can go back and edit your start weight to 4 pounds heavier, that way the loss will still register.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Go back to orginal weigh in and add the 3.5 lbs and reenter the new weight as a new entry. I think you have to create a new entry going back to a date before you started. If you mess around with it you should be able to find it.
  • getfitgirl1
    Options
    i just ordered a new scale too. i'm a little nervous myself about what it will show, but now i will know what to do!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I have a new digital scale and it makes me about 5 lbs less than the scale at the weight loss center so I usually just go by the weight loss center scale for weigh ins. I do keep track day to day on my home scale. I can be a scale *kitten* at times. The one thing I don't really like about the digital scales, mine does all the fancy stuff too, is that if you step on a different way you could weigh a little less or a little more.
  • kanakike8
    kanakike8 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! i never though to go back and add the 3.5 to my initial weight, that's brilliant! i'll give that a try.i do limit myself to one weigh-in every sunday morning about 9am (or right after I get up if I sleep in later) but occasionally I will cheat and weigh myself during the week just to see if i'm staying on track. I just don't count those in my MFP weigh-ins.
    I have a new digital scale and it makes me about 5 lbs less than the scale at the weight loss center so I usually just go by the weight loss center scale for weigh ins. I do keep track day to day on my home scale. I can be a scale *kitten* at times. The one thing I don't really like about the digital scales, mine does all the fancy stuff too, is that if you step on a different way you could weigh a little less or a little more.
    My old dial scale would shift around depending on how i stepped on, stood, was breathing, blinking, etc :laugh: But I wanted a new digi scale because the old dial one only had lb increments. At least with digi I get the fractions too
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    All great info. I plan on shopping for a digital scacle this week! I think my scale is older than I am!
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    What brand scale did you find that had BMI etc? I think I'll check out the Bed Bath & Beyond website.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. My solution was to not record any weights until the new scale caught up to where the old one left off. So I was 239 on the new scale but 238 on the old. I recorded when the new scale said 237.4 (I think) and kept going from there.