not bieng heard

Options
hi
i've been losing weight for 7 months. now i was and still am a really really big girl, but i have lost a lot of weight but only one of my close friends has noticed. it wouldn't be so bad if it were not for that fact that she is actually visually impaired! i'm not really bothered because just want to carry on doing my thing and what ever happens or how i look matters only to me.
i haven't broadcast it at work that i'm trying to lose weight- only 2 people know and they're my best friends. what really makes me mad is that whenever food is around, be it a buffet, or someone's birthday, or someone brings smething in, why is it sometimes i have to almost defend why i don't want to eat a cake, or pizza or a drink? i never say " no thank you, i'm on a diet" because it's not relevant. last week i felt pressured into eating something beacuse the person who brought it in wouldn't take no for an answer. although it was lovely(soup), i hadn't planned for it and had to adjust what i was going to eat for the rest of the day, so i ended enjoying it but feeling guilty about eating it at the same time. why can't people listen and RESPECT when someone says no thanks. it doesn't matter why they don't want it!!!

Replies

• Go_Lise
    Go_Lise Posts: 151
    Options
    I get it. I TOTALLY get it. Or when the opposite kind of happens. Sometimes I'll pass on certain desserts or food because a) I'm not hungry at the time b) I really don't fee like it or c) because it's going to screw me over for the rest of the day and everyone assumes that "She's one a diet. OF COURSE she's on a diet. She should be" and give you that look. That look that says "She's acknowledging she's fat" look. I need the support, not the judgement.
  • Falisha13
    Falisha13 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    This is a very good point & I agree, I'm sorry no one is noticing your weight lose I bet you are looking & feeling amazing! Keep Going! I know it's hard but you just need to keep telling yourself this is for me & nobody else! You don't need to tell people your on a diet just politely decline & move on, if that persist just say No thanks I'm good maybe make a joke about it like I've already had to much to day & maybe say I had 2 grapes... Just an idea, or you could say your allergic to it ;) I hope this helps abit & please know you Can do this!
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hi 1aggie,

I might suggest that you tell your coworkers that you're on a diet. It IS relevant, and because eating together is so closely related to hospitality, it would probably help minimize offense or hurt feelings. Most people understand dieting, and are willing to help support you, even if that just means offering you a piece of cake only twice, instead of 17 times. :)

I'm sorry that no one's noticed your weight loss. I know for myself, I can lose up to twenty pounds before it starts to become obvious, because I'm tall and I have a big frame. The nice side of that is that I can GAIN about the same amount before people start to notice! But you have to keep in mind that no one is paying as much attention to how you look as YOU! :) It's just human nature. So try to cut them some slack. Keep working. You're doing this for YOU anyway; not for them. Eventually they'll be able to see it, too (maybe when you start buying clothes in a smaller size; those baggy clothes can hide a lot of weight loss!). Consider it delayed gratification. And keep up the good work!!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I am not advocating that you should respond as I would.

I am an *kitten*, after the second "no thank you". I would tell myself that I am now justified to move to the next highest level of emotions. This results in "I said I don't want any!". Next level " STFU! and get away from me, if you come at me with that crap again you're going to wear it!".

Rarely after 20 years in the same office do I need to go past stage 1. They don't see themselves winning against mean ole Zebrahead.

I have friend issues. :blushing:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I hate having attention. I actually don't say anything to friends and family. I guess you can say I shy away from the spotlight. I'm more of the quiet one in the background. if people compliment me on getting thin, I thank them and keep going on. I don't know what it is but I have a hard time getting praised by others.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    there is pressure to conform the the "norm" in all aspects of life it is just that a lot of people are very ignorant on the diet side of things, its not hard to see that when you look around and see that obesity has gotten to be so much of a problem these days, even in young kids. Society as a whole takes a very very long time to come around on things like this so if you are having issues just stick to your guns and people will respect you all the more for it.
  • fitgramma
    Options
    Some people are really dense and just don't get it. Tell them no the first time. If they keep badgering you, tell them you are very picky about what you eat and would prefer not to try what they are offering. I know this is easier said than done, but if you give in to their demands to eat, you are not doing yourself any favors. Hence the guilt. Someday these people will take the hint and not ask anymore. Just remember to say no with a smile on your face.
  • rhodes2b
    rhodes2b Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I think many of us understand what you are saying. I love when people pass around the girl scout cookie form. My husband used to offer food from his plate as well. He would play this game like " oh my food taste better- have a bite. "

I finally explained that I was doing this for me and he needed to stop.

You should continue on your journey. The others will hop on board at some point. Keep going!
  • Xav8tor
    Xav8tor Posts: 23
    Options
    I sometimes feel, that on some level, likely subconscious, they want to see you fail. Who knows why, maybe they have tried and failed, or know someone else who has. Maybe it's envy, for a commitment they don't have and wish for. I have to tell myself, repeatedly, that this is for ME, what others think or say, is their problem.:glasses:
  • kathott
    kathott Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i know exactly how you feel....but just remember that you are doing this for you and you alone! I agree that we need positive re-inforcement but I get mine by putting on a piece of clothing that I wore before i started losing weight and you can see just how
    your lifestyle change is benefiting you. I dont say..".no, I am dieting". because i am not dieting. I am choosing a healthier lifestyle and making better nutritional choices! Good luck as you go forward on your adventure!
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you are saying. Although you have a right to privacy and don't like to announce to your workplace you are on a diet (I'm like that too), you'll either need to say something about being on a special eating plan for health or just stand your ground and say "no" without an explanation. Eventually those people who push food will get the message. I'm a Type II diabetic and my friend knows it, but she always brings me a container of frosting (because I love it) after she bakes a cake for someone's birthday. As much as I love frosting I don't want it given to me. She was just trying to give me something I liked but on the other hand I was offended that she didn't respect my situation regarding eating sugar. Recently I told her not to bring it to me anymore. We'll see if she respects that when someone has a birthday next month.

If in the past you may have been perceived as someone at work that enjoyed the treats or potluck, your coworkers may see you as someone they expect to eat the food they bring. Even though you are changing they all don't know that about you. Sometimes even when people are aware of a person's diet, they subconsciously attempt to sabotage it so they still have someone to eat and snack with them. It will be a challenge for us to stand our ground and say "no thank you" but we'll feel better about ourselves at the end of the day for doing so.

My pet peeve at work is when people do know that I'm trying to eat healthy and when I put my lunch on the table I get drilled about what I'm eating, what's in it, etc. I know they are curious but I don't like that kind of attention and I just want to eat in peace! Some days I'm more accepting of it than others. It's when each person that sits at the table asks the same questions and I have to repeat myself over and over again!

Well stick to your plan, you're doing great to have been at it for 7 months, and you will get to your goal!:flowerforyou:
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I completely know what you are saying. Yesterday the parents of the high school softball team I coach had a cookout after our 3 hour practice. :)

I was starving so I decided I could eat half a hamburger with a surplus of tomatoes, pickles, onions. When I told them I didn't want the bun, all the mothers just looked at me and said, "Are you sure? It's just a bun." It made me feel really guilty, and then I realized...WHY am I feeling guilty? I don't want the stupid bun.

So I ate WHAT I WANTED to tie me over and then went home to a healthier snack. :)
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion, if you are uncomfortable with saying that you are on a diet, then how about saying 'no thank you, I am trying to make some healthy choices right now' or how about ' I would usually, but I am going out for a meal tonight and don't want to be full' or something like that?

I lost quite a lot before people noticed, I think also that if you are sensitive about your weight (I am making an assumption, but from your post that is what I felt) then maybe people are reluctanat to say anything about you losing weight in case they upset you? As when you mention to someone about there weght it implies that you have noticed their weight....if that makes sense.

Good luck, and keep it up the great work. And maybe worry less about what people think :flowerforyou:
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    why can't people listen and RESPECT when someone says no thanks. it doesn't matter why they don't want it!!!

Not sure what the deal is with 'food pushers' but I am well familiar w/ them. I am most familiar w/ the food pushers known colloquially as 'Mom' or 'Grandma' (not being sexist, but my Dad does not do this). These folks may genuinely think you are just being too polite to take their food. I don't know how diverse the make-up of your office is, but in some cultures you would never not-try to offer something a 2nd time, only because the first refusal might also be out of decorum.

I'm not make excuses for food pushers, but I am just outlining that they might not be trying to annoy you. In fact they might want to make sure that they do not exclude you b/c it might seem rude not to offer you something that they've offered everyone else.

You should just give them a knowing look and gesture towards your esophagus or stomach and whisper , "Not to share TMI - but...you know" and leave it at that. :laugh: :wink:

ETA: Though I sound like an ingrate, I love my familial Food Pushers! :happy: :smooched:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I just say no. Repeatedly. Luckily I don't have the kind of friends who push things, but if I did the answer would still be no. If I don't eat as much as everyone else, my mother comments that I am "starving myself", but as she spends the rest of the time telling me that I am dangerously overweight (148lbs at 5'5"), I don't pay any attention.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Completely understand!

I have never announced or told anyone I do a diet, cause I dont, I have a healthier attitude towards food, but people automatically assume cause you are eatier healthier 'what diet are you doing'.

Gah!

I got tired of giving reasons of not wanting the really unhealthy food, so now i just say 'the taste isnt worth the calories', or 'i just dont like the taste'

Although same people, refuse fruit and veg when offered to them!
  • Shamrock40
    Shamrock40 Posts: 264
    Options
    It sucks when people can't respect your choices regardless of the reason. I have elected to go in the complete opposite direction and I post my exercise and weight-loss updates on my facebook page. Screw everyone if they think it's too much info, or don't want to know. Don't look at my page. It's for my benefit, not theirs.
  • 1aggie
    1aggie Posts: 7
    Options
    hi
    you are a very perceptive person!! what you said about me being sensitive about my weight was spot on. althugh i was and still am very overwieght i lived in a fantasy world thinking i was the only person who saw how it affected me, until last year when my two best friends set up an"intervention" with me to tell me how much they were worried about me and my health. i was mortified, embarassed and ashamed, and wanted more than anything for the ground to open up and swallow me, i understood why they had felt they had to say something to me. it was the motivation i needed to finally decide to do something about my weight. i don't like to talk about myself or weght, and maybe i need to lighten up a bit and not be so tightly wound up about things.
    thanks for your post
    :smile:
  • Rainbow_Brite86
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel.

I've lsot over 40 lbs so far and not one compliment in real life.

like wow.

Yesterday someone told me I looked the same as always. Which kinda hurt. :S
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of times people take it as a personal rejection if you're not gorging yourself on whatever food or drink they're offering. They get offended because they perceive it as if what they've done isn't "good enough" for you, so then they get upset with you. My work around for this is to try to butter them up with all kinds of compliments about how lovely it all is and how much I appreciate everything they've done, and distract them ASAP.