Zumba?

Options
I'm thinking of maybe trying out Zumba. My worry is that it will be too much for me, especially as heavy as I am right now. Has anyone tried it? Do you like/love/hate it? How difficult is it to pick up?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Love Zumba! Especially in a class setting! I started doing Zumba when I weighed about 210. It does get intense but you can pretty much go at your own pace. Most of the instructors will tell you to just keep moving! I highly recommend it! I also have the game for the Wii but prefer a class! :bigsmile:
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Love,love,love it...jus keep on moving...the calories will be burned!!!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I do it, and love it, I find it fun

Alot of people feel self concious about it, but dont be, its all about having fun and moving about.

I find how the teacher teaches impacts alot on if you pick it up easily or not.
  • chelvid
    chelvid Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love it, I started going to a class and now I am thinking of getting it for the wii too. Its fun!
  • StPattysGrl
    Options
    Definately give it a try! Everyone is welcome to a Zumba class... just go at your own pace and do what you can. Most instructors will give lower impact options that may be easier for a beginner.
  • ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ZUMBA!!! I weigh 240 lbs so I'm not a small girl. I'm not gonna lie, it is pretty intense, but you can slow down or do the moves slower if it gets too hard. I just like the music it has and if I can't keep up with the people on screen then I just dance at my own pace until they change it up! :) I hope this helps you to make your decision.
  • oscelyn
    oscelyn Posts: 54
    Options
    I actually don't really like Zumba itself, but I LOVE the energy in the class that the teacher brings to it. The moves, depending on the instructor, can be quite cumbersome but all you have to do is MOVE. You will get a great workout and might actually enjoy Zumba. I'm still going because I love the intensity of the workout and the great calorie burn. I bought 10 classes and I'm hoping by the end of that, I will learn to really like it. I don't think your size will matter as long as you give it you, bring your energy and a positive attitude. There are a number of large women in the classes I take...including me. Try it, you may just have found your true calling!
  • ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Also, I ordered the dvds for my house so I don't have to feel self conscious doing the moves in front of other people.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    My name is Sun and I'm a Zumba addict... Seriously, I've been doing it for over two years now and there's nothing like it! You'll sweat buckets, get your groove on and tone your body all at the same time.

And don't worry if you're new to it. Nobody cares how your doing...it's hard enough for the vets to stay on their game!

Good luck you'll be awesome in no time!
  • jess_12
    jess_12 Posts: 3
    Options
    I also recommend doing it in a class it is more fun that way but I also have the DVD's at home. I feel very energized afterward! I hope my ticker shows up below after I post this lol I'm new at this :tongue:

5733849.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Melonmorrow
    Melonmorrow Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Zumba is so much fun. I started taking it a couple weeks ago. It got me through my plateau. Im still getting all the steps down but man was I sweating my butt off lol. U should give it a try. I read u burn from 500-900 calories an hr. Idk how accurate that is though :smile:
  • johstewa
    johstewa Posts: 2
    Options
    My girl does this class and loves it ... She is addicted to it... Give a try
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    I start in April and can't wait. I have a friend who has been going and, not only has she lost weight, but she's gotten the cutest little body from it! She says when it gets too much, she just dances! How could you go wrong with just standing back and dancing to your own drummer when you get behind?
    Check out some of the Zumba viddies on YouTube. It makes me want to dance where I sit just watching them!
  • alex063287
    alex063287 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of maybe trying out Zumba. My worry is that it will be too much for me, especially as heavy as I am right now. Has anyone tried it? Do you like/love/hate it? How difficult is it to pick up?

Thanks!!!

I LOVE Zumba! I am actually addicted to it by taking around 4-5 classes a week! I love Zumba because you can tailor it to fit you and your needs. Sometimes one of my instructors shows you options of how you can slow a move down or pick it up. It may be overwhelming the first time you try it because you have no idea what's going to happen. However every time you go you will become more familiar with the moves. I would say don't knock it until you try it! Some classes will let you try it for free or a discounted price. Let us know if you try it and if you liked/disliked it!
  • emma6978
    emma6978 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have tried it, the dvd's were given to me and start with the begining basics and you can modify it how ever you need it.

Like for me I have a bad lower back and bad right knee due to a fall so I can't get "into" it as much, but I try to keep moving which is key.

I'm only on day three of using it and it will get easier you just have to be careful with any exercise you do because of the weight. My Dr tells all her patients to put on a brace if you need it or use the Ace badges. So I hope that helps you!!:happy:
  • Lele71
    Lele71 Posts: 76
    Options
    I have the Zumba for the wii. I worried at first that I wouldn't be able to do it because of my weight and I also had to wear the belt higher on my waist, but the more that I do the better I have gotten at it. It is a really great workout and I have noticed a difference in my waist.
  • mumma2boyz
    mumma2boyz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I own the zumba dvds. I have never attended a class because my single working mom schedule wont allow. I love the dvds. I do them 3-5 days a week. I've lost 13 pounds in about 7 weeks. Be patient...they are hard but you smile the whole time. You will notice you improve everytime. They have a great 45 min instructional that I did probably 10 times before I popped in the strength or cardio party. Now I feel like im going out dancing in my own living room. At my ten pound mark I rewarded myselfwith some cool workout pants. Now I get excited when its time to zumba!
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352
    Options
    you are going to LOVE it!!! It doesn't even feel like exercise.
    I have only gone to a few classes (just started a few weeks ago) and I'm picking up the dance moves pretty easy. The moves repeat during the song.

Good luck and have fun!!