Craving for cinnamon

Options
dreamc08
dreamc08 Posts: 74 Member
I believe cravings can often be an indicator of what our bodies need (taking a magnesium supplement has curbed my constant chocolate cravings), but I'm stumped on this one. For the past week or so, I have had really strong cravings for cinnamon. Not for anything in particular, such as a cinnamon roll, but just wanting cinnamon in general. I've always liked cinnamon, just not something I use a lot. I understand cravings can be both emotional and physical, but I don't have any emotional ties to this spice.

I've been searching Google, trying to get some insight, but all I can find is info about how cinnamon is supposed to help curb cravings for sweets...that doesn't answer my question.

Anyone have any ideas? Just curious...

Replies

• steffilily
    steffilily Posts: 149
    Options
    I read recently on one of the posts on here how cinnamon is one of the 10 food that helps boost metabolism. If you have a craving for them, go ahead and sprinkle some on oatmeal, toasts, coffee, etc...
  • Tamiash
    Tamiash Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    sugarfree applesauce. yummy!
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    cinnamon is a natural blood sugar stabilizer. I know diabetics that take it in pill form that it has made significant improvements in their CBG's.... I use it on and in tons of stuff from tea to soup.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon is great for you! I like to eat it on hot cereal/oatmeal/porridge, and sometimes, I make toast, put jam on it, and sprinkle the cinnamon on the jam! Yum!! It's also particularly good for those with TOM cramps, because, like cayenne, it can make you feel warmer (or something like that. I don't remember the scientifics of it). :bigsmile:
  • CherylleeH
    Options
    Don't know why you might be craving it but I have heard cinnamon is very good for you. I sprinkle it on cottage cheese or add it to plain greek yogurt with a splash of vanilla. Yum!
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you would crave it. I've read, like others, it's good for stabilizing blood sugar and good for metabolism. I love it in coffee in the morning, or added to sugar free yogurt. I wonder IF perhaps, you are eating less of other things [you mentioned chocolate] your tastebuds might be changing.. and "filling in" areas where you used to eat other foods? Just a thought. :flowerforyou:
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    my faves with cinnamon: plain oatmeal, coffee, and diet hot chocolate with a dash of cinnamon! also, on wheat toast. delicious.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    my faves with cinnamon: plain oatmeal, coffee, and diet hot chocolate with a dash of cinnamon! also, on wheat toast. delicious.
    I've put it in tea before too.
  • hasbian101
    Options
    Cinnamon is particularly beneficial when you're dieting because it helps curb cravings and helps regulate blood sugar. Cinnamon is also a good source for Manganese, Iron, Calcium, and Fibre, which you will be lacking if you are dieting, as you're reducing your food and calorie intake. Cinnamon is also a great source of vitamin K. If you are wheat / gluten intolerant or allergic then you may have a vitamin K deficiency. I always have cinnamon and blueberries when I'm low on vitamin K to get an immediate boost. If you're craving cinnamon though, chances are it's because of one of the reasons above. It has wonderful medicinal and health qualities so don't be worried - put cinnamon everything you can/want, it will do wonders!
  • Camiam
    Camiam Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank God, a little insight! I just got this cinnamon craving two nights ago. I was making cheese stuffed shells and got the urge to put cinnamon in the cheese mixture, so I did. Here's the thing, I was cooking for my boyfriend. I DIDN'T EAT (or want) DINNER. I had an Isagenix shake. Smelling the cinnamon helped that craving, but then last night I had to go to CVS for Hot Tamales. I gave up chocolate for Lent. Do you think the two are connected?
    13060 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have just added some ground cinnamon to my breakfast shake in the morning, adds flavor and I feel like I've had my cinnamon fix. I did read that cinnamon also takes away sugar cravings, although I have never been big on sugar. Once in a very long while, I will stop at Ikea and pick up a cinnamon bun and coffee (like that is my ultimate treat) and once in a while you have to do that and get that satisfaction.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have heard the theory that cinnamon helps you process sugar and insulin. I dumped a bunch of it in my oatmeal this morning and it was awesome. I wouldn't worry too much about the cravings but if you start noticing other changes then keep an eye out. Cinnamon is just plain yummy!
  • cobluegirl
    Options
    I was just googling for this very same thing. I have been totally craving cinnamon. Bizarre.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon is excellent in stews as well. Sounds crazy, but it is really common in Morocco. Add a little bit to spaghetti sauce. :D

Cinnamon + tomatoes is a great combo.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I had to go to CVS for Hot Tamales.

Hot Tamales don't actually contain any cinnamon. Just cinnamon flavoring. So, if you think your body needs whatever it's craving, trying to fill that need with artificial stuff isn't going to work.
  • julia2bslim
    Options
    How wonderful to find other people with cinnamon cravings! I googled it, expecting to find nothing, really, and came up with two wonderful resources: this one and another (http://www.livestrong.com/article/554405-what-does-it-mean-when-you-crave-cinnamon/).

The link to the article above pretty much hit the nail on the head. I too believe that your body craves what it needs and I found two properties (though there are quite a few more) of cinnamon to be particularly relevant to my situation: antifungal and blood sugar control.

I try to follow a pretty low-sugar (and hence low-carb in general) diet, though I don't diet in the true sense of the word. I find that, besides offering me no nutritional value, sugars mess w/ my digestive system in the form of Candida Albicans (a fungus that feeds on sugars, google leaky gut syndrome).

Anyway, my mysterious cinnamon craving came after a two week period in which I was pretty sleep deprived and heavy on the carbs and sugars. I am now having a bowl of 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 minced apple, 1/8 c raisins, 1 Tbsp raw pumpkin seeds, 1 Tbsp raw, hulled sunflower seeds, and 1/2 c plain nonfat Chobani Greek yogurt - yum!! Hopefully, between the yogurt and cinnamon, I'll be back to normal soon.
  • Redenius47
    Options
    I've been craving cinnamon for a couple of months and put it absolutely anything. I've read all the benefits, and had a vitamin K deficiency when I was young. I'm just going to buy more, and higher quality, fresh ground stuff!