Bought a new scale - inconsistencies!

Options
We bought a new scale yesterday because our old one (even after changing the battery) still seems iffy to us. The platform is even cracked - lol I didn't think we were that heavy. :)

The new scale is giving readings 4.3 pounds *more* than the old one....i.e. today I weigh 164.5 on the old scale (and I have to step on the old scale like 10 times before I even get the same reading twice), but today I weigh 168.8 on the new one (which seems to at least give the same readings consistently). My weight last week on the old scale was 165.5....so essentially it looks like I've gained weight when maybe I really haven't.

What would you do? Go back and add 4.3 pounds to all my old weight log entries so that it's as if they were all done on the new scale, or just leave all the old entries as is and not log a new one until it finally drops under the lowest old scale measurement?

Replies

• CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    I'd toss out both scales!
  • crazymgpilot
    crazymgpilot Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'd leave as is and make it a mini goal to get under that weight on the new scale before logging more. However, scales tend to be different, as you've now noticed. The only "accurate" scales are those certified, usually in gyms or doctor's offices. Keep up the good work and use only one scale now that you've gotten one that works consistently. AFter all it's not necessarily the weight that's important, as how you feel and how your body has changed. Good luck and enjoy!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'd leave as is and make it a mini goal to get under that weight on the new scale before logging more. However, scales tend to be different, as you've now noticed. The only "accurate" scales are those certified, usually in gyms or doctor's offices. Keep up the good work and use only one scale now that you've gotten one that works consistently. AFter all it's not necessarily the weight that's important, as how you feel and how your body has changed. Good luck and enjoy!

I agree!
  • HeatherColabove
    Options
    Maybe just add your "new weight", but put a comment under it saying that you got a new scale and
    the numbers are slightly different. That way you'll at least have that listed if you ever go back
    to look at your progess and you won't think....how did I gain so much back overnight?
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options

I knew the new scale would be different than the old one. I like your idea, though, because I did have a free day yesterday and ate a ton of salt, too....so who knows, maybe the weight "gain" readings are partly due to water weight. But on the other hand, if I go back and change my old entries by 4.3 pounds, I feel that I will have a more accurate definition of how much weight I really lost over all from beginning to end.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    We bought a new scale yesterday because our old one (even after changing the battery) still seems iffy to us. The platform is even cracked - lol I didn't think we were that heavy. :)

The new scale is giving readings 4.3 pounds *more* than the old one....i.e. today I weigh 164.5 on the old scale (and I have to step on the old scale like 10 times before I even get the same reading twice), but today I weigh 168.8 on the new one (which seems to at least give the same readings consistently). My weight last week on the old scale was 165.5....so essentially it looks like I've gained weight when maybe I really haven't.

What would you do? Go back and add 4.3 pounds to all my old weight log entries so that it's as if they were all done on the new scale, or just leave all the old entries as is and not log a new one until it finally drops under the lowest old scale measurement?

That's what I did when I bought my new scale and weighed heavier on it than I did on the old one--edited all my previous entries to add the difference btw the two scales.
  • therobinator
    Options
    I did have a free day yesterday and ate a ton of salt, too....so who knows, maybe the weight "gain" readings are partly due to water weight.
    That's what I did when I bought my new scale and weighed heavier on it than I did on the old one--edited all my previous entries to add the difference btw the two scales.
    Maybe that's what I will do, but wait a day or two to get rid of yesterday's free day sodium water weight?
  • wanda1956
    wanda1956 Posts: 110
    Options

Yes...good ideal..I also agree.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I did have a free day yesterday and ate a ton of salt, too....so who knows, maybe the weight "gain" readings are partly due to water weight.
    Maybe that's what I will do, but wait a day or two to get rid of yesterday's free day sodium water weight?

I didn't wait. I just changed it right away. If it really was a water weight gain, you'll have a big loss on next week's weigh in. But no matter what, there's a difference between the two scales, so I'd edit to record that difference between the scales.

My weigh in day is my weigh in day, no matter what the scale says. I refuse to weigh more than once a week and make myself nuts or to cherry pick the lowest day out of 7. I weigh at the same time, same day, each week. That preserves my sanity! LOL
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    i like the idea of not logging again until your weight on the new scale is under what it was on your old scale (frustrating as it may be). :)
  • therobinator
    Options
    I've been weighing myself all morning on both scales, clothed, nude, etc....to see the averages, differences, etc. (the new scale has been giving readings from 4.3 to 5.8 pounds more than the old one -- because the old one is being inconsistent even to itself, and the new one being very consistent to itself)....and this is what I decided:

Since I want to have the most accurate possible accounting of my overall weight loss from the beginning, I am going to average it out and say that the new scale reads 5 pounds more than the old one. I am going to add 5 pounds to all my previous weigh-in numbers and uyse today's new scale reading as the official weigh-in (regardless of possible water weight gain).

And the old scale is going in the trash momentarily. ;)

Thank you all for your thoughts on this. I really appreciate it! :)