I need help with this question!

Options
Okay I need everyones advice:
Okay So my calorie intake is 1200 per day...So say if I eat 1000 by the end of my day, and I work out before I go to bed and work off say 1000 calories I ate perviously...Wouldnt that mean Im def gonna loose weight? I just need clarification... Or is it bad to loose more calories then you put in?

Replies

• ssb2nf
    ssb2nf Posts: 4
    Options
    you should definitely be eating more calories. when you eat less than 1200 calories per day your body can go into starvation mode. eating a small amount of calories will work for a little, but eventually as your metabolism increases so should your calorie intake.
  • Christie81
    Christie81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You should be eating your exercise calories back or you're going to put your body into starvation mode and you'll actually gain weight.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    that would be bad. When you set up your goals, what was your BMR? that is how much your body needs to function...calories your body uses for your heart to beat, your lungs to breathe, etc.

You need to eat the bulk of that number, and not exercise it off. That is what the 1200 is about. eating much less than that (1200) over a long period of time will slow down your metabolism, and you will just sabotage your weight loss efforts. This is the "starvation mode" that everyone talks about all the time.
  • WeightLossTrek
    Options
    Everyone else has summed this up really well.

This is a bad idea
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    For starters-you should NEVER go below 1200. And yes, you do need some calories in your body. Your body has so many processes it goes through and it needs extra calories for that. Just please don't do that ever. You will go into starvation mode-it is basically an eating disorder you are going into. Your body will hold on to the fat to eventually let it go when it has no other source to get it calories from-meaning it has taken it from muscles or other places and then it will go after fat-so unhealthy!!
  • missmeagan89
    Options
    Okay, thanks everyone for your input. I just started my diet yesterday and set this all up...And it set me in as not to go over 1200. But I'm going to go back and edit the information. Thanks for all of your help!
  • tauns
    tauns Posts: 29
    Options
    There is ALWAYS arguments on here on whether you should eat your burned off calories or not. So if you get blasted don't take it personal. The issue is you need to be eating at least some. Some would say you need to eat all your exercise calories back. If you don't want to, I do not think you should; however, I would suggest eating at least half those calories back as well as eating your full 1200 calories EVERY day.

Your body needs fuel. Do not look at it as food. I do not think I can name anyone that would not loose some weight eating 1200 calories a day! Now you need to realize you may not be loosing because your body is going into starvation mode. You are eating WAY too few calories if you are only eating 1200 and burning 1000 in workouts! If you upped your calorie intake 500 calories you would probably find you don't feel like you are hungry all the time and you would also loose some weight.

Another thing - pay attention to what you are eating in the 1200 calories. You should have lots of veggies and some fruits as well as protein and carbs. Proteins try to stick to lean (fish and chicken is REALLY good when trying to loose weight). Carbs stick to complex ones - whole wheat breads, brown rices, etc. Nuts are also a really good thing to eat each day....just stick to the recommended amounts (about 20 almonds is a serving). The more veggies you eat, you will see more weight fall off.

Last but very NOT least - I say this ALL the time...WATER! Water, water, water, water, water! Drink at least half your body weight in oz of water each day (if you weight 200 lbs you should be drinking 100 oz (about 12.5 8 oz cups) of water a day at the very least!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try that and report back? Burn 1000 calories and eat 1000 calories and tell me you could do that everyday.

Bottom line: you're starving yourself and you'll be super hungry.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I question whether you are understanding the concept of net calories. You have to figure your exercise into your daily calories. 1200 is what you should eat if you are doing nothing over your basic lifestyle settings. When you figure in the exercise it gives you more.

I also question your exercising so vigorously at night as to burn 1000 calories, but you must know your own body. I can't imagine exercising that much, though and not replenishing some of the calories. I wouldn't think you would hold up very well if you tried to do that repeatedly.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    That would mean your body is running on empty; in my experience, it would hurt, and your body would panic and grab all the fat it could get if you kept doing that.

MFP has a calorie deficit built in. Keep your net calories at 1200, and you'll lose weight. It's up to you whether or not you eat your exercise calories; make sure you get enough protein to refuel your body and feed your muscles, and that you're not hungry. If you're hungry, you will eat, and if you try not to, you'll probably end up binging.:(

(I tried to post this as a comment on the question you posted in the newsfeed, but it wouldn't go through. If you suddenly get like six copies it's because I hit enter a few times for luck).