Spice Help

Options
liezelcha
liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
I need help with spice combo's for my veggies. I get them raw on my salads and I bake and grill them. I use Mrs Dash (thank goodness for that stuff !!) but other than s&p I don't have any idea how to change up my spices. Suggestions? Veggies r tough to eat for both my husband and I so I need some creativity...

Replies

• crazymgpilot
    crazymgpilot Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For baked or grilled I personally love crushed garlic with pepper. However there are some awesome combinations of spices in the spice aisle. Any of the grillmates spices, or mixtures for chicken or beef tend to taste great on veggies. Also, you can use lemon pepper for a bittersweet taste. The fun thing is to experiment with different spices and see what combo's you like. I use garlic a lot because of the flavors it brings out in everything, and I love taco seasoning packets for a little kick, or for a spicy night, cayenne pepper with olive oil and black pepper....With spices, shoot for the moon. Sometimes it won't be so good, others you'll be amazed at the flavors that are brought out.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    try roasting carrots with a tablespoon of maple syrup and a few dashes of cayenne pepper... yumm
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    this isn't for a lot of people, but i steam my veggies..they get cooked, yet still have THEIR flavor..other than that, i can't tell ya..best of luck :D
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Cumin is by far my favorite spice, it's so versatile. It can go with both sweet and savory flavors. I really like to stir-fry or roast veggies with curry powder, cumin, coriander and turmeric as a base. Carrots are particularly delicious roasted in a bit of cumin with some cinnamon as well, can also add a bit of maple syrup and/or brown sugar.

I really like to keep fresh herbs like mint, basil, oregano and cilantro around. Mint is absolutely delicious with beets. I like to layer beets in a small bowl with mint and a little bit of feta cheese. I've also found that basil goes surprisingly well with Asian inspired flavors, like Miso paste, rice wine vinegar, mirin and soy sauce. You can make really easy sauces out of those few ingredients that are delicious in stir frys.

If you like Mexican food like fajitas you can marinate chopped onion, bell peppers, tomatoes, etc in a mixture of water, teeny bit of oil, lemon juice, lime juice, salt, pepper, coriander, spicy paprika, sweet paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, dried jalapenos, few drops of tabasco for a couple of hours in the fridge, then quickly sautee in a pan.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    You could experiment with mixed spices. I have an Italian Garlic mix, which includes things like oregano, basil, garlic powder, etc, and goes really well on tomatoes. I like pepper on broccoli, too.
  • Vixxta
    Vixxta Posts: 31
    Options
    Bump for scarlet. My favorite flavor with carrots is fennel. Marjoram with peas. Basil with tomatoes, or fresh basil with any veg really. Fresh cilantro (aka coriander) with anything vaguely latin or thai. Cayenne with just about everything. The other day I tried Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime on my baked sweet potato...now I can't get enough. Try blending your favorite herb combinations with a little sea salt, pepper and garlic powder to develop your own "house" seasoning. I have a signature blend for chicken that I gift to friends and family at the holidays.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodpairing.be/

at the top right hand corner there is a box where you can type in a food (a vegetable in your case).
    Then it will give you a web of things that share aromatic compounds, ie, they pair well when cooking them.

For example, I typed in "carrot, raw" and they suggested cardamom, cumin, and laurel for the spices.
    They also give you a variety of other foods that your chosen ingredient will work well with (in this case: fried bacon, roasted peanuts, gin, olive oil, black tea, pickled cucumber).

Let your imagination run away with you!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    my husband and i love to do our stir fry veggies with a bit of grated ginger and lime juice, along with some fresh black pepper ground in.

also, my fave spice on beef is called Montreal Steak Seasoning. they make a low-sodium kind as well.