FATIGUE AND TIREDNESS WHEN RUNNING?

MissMalinSara
MissMalinSara Posts: 137
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
I am on a 1200 - 1500 calorie a day plan, I also aim to run 10km 4-5 days a week...

I feel so tired on my runs though - but too scared to 'up' the calories!
Any tips on what food to eat that can give me energy?

Replies

• claire_b79
    claire_b79 Posts: 101 Member
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Do you have a HRM?

If not, I suggest you get one so that you can know how many calories your runs are burning for you. If you eat 1200, then run 10km, you are definitely going to be dragging. If you fuel your body properly, you will not have fatigue issues. Don't be afraid of carbs either...doing so much cardio.
  • Yes, but not all of them..
  • claire_b79
    claire_b79 Posts: 101 Member
    Yeah I agree with the HRM tip. When I got my HRM i found out that I was burning over 100 calories more on my couch to 5 k training sessions. So I upped my calories accordingly.
  • Where could I get a decent yet cheap HRM? All the ones Ive seen are over £100 :o
  • 12by311
    I saw on another post you are trying to lose weight to get rid of love handles (saw your height and weight right now as well). Maybe you don't need to lose weight. You might not even need to be on a calorie deficit at this point. It could potentially do more harm than good. You might need to eat maintenance then just work out. If you have too large of a deficit over a long period of time, it could slow your metabolism and may cause your body to not change in the ways you want it.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    If I was running 10k 5 times a week on 1200-1500 cals I'd be tired too, and ill most probably. Your body doesn't want to do it.
  • 12by311
    Where could I get a decent yet cheap HRM? All the ones Ive seen are over £100 :o

I have this one and does the job!

http://health-fitness.hsn.com/proform-precision-heart-rate-monitor_pf-218808_xp.aspx?&rdr=1&cm_mmc=Shopping Engine-_-Froogle-_-Wellness-_-218808
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    When I run, I go about 30 minutes and burn around 500 calories. So I eat 1700, I burn 500, so I net 1200. If I don't I'm starving all day. And I have to make sure I'm getting lots of protein, and not lots, but a decent amount of carbs.
  • I saw on another post you are trying to lose weight to get rid of love handles (saw your height and weight right now as well). Maybe you don't need to lose weight. You might not even need to be on a calorie deficit at this point. It could potentially do more harm than good. You might need to eat maintenance then just work out. If you have too large of a deficit over a long period of time, it could slow your metabolism and may cause your body to not change in the ways you want it.

Ahh thanks lol! I just want to tone up my body etc.. and when the scales remain the same - but im working out i dont feel or look any different :/
  • trolleydolly70
    trolleydolly70 Posts: 29 Member
    Where could I get a decent yet cheap HRM? All the ones Ive seen are over £100 :o

Argos do basic HRM starting from £19.99 upwards.

Hope this helps. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.