Allergic to Apples

Options
I have Oral Allergy Syndrome, and I'm allergic to apples. In theory, I'm only allergic to the peel, so apple sauce should be safe for me. But it's not! A lot of low-fat recipes call for apple sauce as a substitute for oil. Any ideas what I can substitute for apple sauce?

Replies

• cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt. Plain unsweetened.

I have a ton pf food allergies, I feel your pain. I have to read labels on everything.

Good luck!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Canned pumpkin. And I know you can make brownies with pureed canned black beans, but I'm not sure if they'd work in other recipes.
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    At least your not allergic to that cute cat of yours!!!! So beautiful!!!!

(Sorry, no info about the apple allergy.)
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Have you tried other fruit purees? Like pumpkin or banana? Or what about making your own applesauce, if you peel the apples yourself, can you eat the fruit?

I also feel your pain. I'm allergic to sulfites, which lurk everywhere in packaged foods. I have to be very careful about what I eat, so I usually end up making just about everything myself.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    you can make your own "pear sauce" by taking a can of light pears and putting them in the blender on puree. I'm sure this would work just about the same as the applesauce. It might take some adjusting of how much liquid to incorporate, but it's worth a try!
  • mommy2josh
    Options
    Oh wow! i did not know there was a name on this! i googled the Oral Allergry Syndrome and this is what i have! LOL i just tell people i'm allergic to fruit that grows on trees, but i'm not REALLY allergic to the fruit, i'm allergic to the tree lol. now i have a name ... thank you :)
    Unlike you , i can eat apple sauce... did you try a different name brand? Have you tried baking with it already? cause if you havent', maybe the extra cooking time would take away the extra 'stuff' that's giving you the allergy?!

does it not suck, not being able to eat fruit while trying to lose weight? it makes snacking very , very hard!
  • Helen_Ch
    Helen_Ch Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating something baked with applesauce? I also have OAS and am extremely allergic (epipen) to raw apples, peaches, cherries, etc..., but can eat any of them when cooked.
  • Jamcgarvey
    Options
    I also have an oral allergy to certain variety of apples. Are you still allergic if you cook the apples or apple sauce? Black beans might be a good substitute.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Make your own apple sauce maybe, I'm pretty sure a quite a bit of peel sneaks in to the store bought stuff.
  • stellena
    stellena Posts: 3
    Options
    Great suggestions, everyone! I haven't tried anything with applesauce baked in it because my dermatitis finally cleared up and I don't want to risk getting it again. It's possible I got a brand of apple sauce with traces of peel in it. Maybe when I've been symptom-free for a while, I'll get the courage to experiment. I will try the other ideas, though. It's great to find support on here. My dietician has never heard of OAS!
  • lindainak
    lindainak Posts: 101
    Options
    Time for a new dietition! Yikes.