P90X, Insanity, TurboFire, the Shred, something else?

Options
Okay, so I'm nearing the end of my first round of P90X. I am wondering what to do next.

I've gotten some advice, and most people have recommended the above (another round of P90X, Insanity, TurboFire, or The Shred). But I want your opinions.

Which do you think will help get me the most "bikini ready"? P90X and the Shred are appealing because of cost (I already have P90X and the Shred is like $10 bucks on amazon). But, if someone thinks that the other programs would be better, I would be willing to plunk down the cash.

While doing another round of P90X is tempting, I also think it might be fun to incorporate another program before I do another round.

What has been your experience with the programs, which do you prefer/think you lost the most weight/got the most toned.

Thank you!!

PS, if someone has had great results with a program not already mentioned, I'm def open to that as well.

Replies

• jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm using ChaLEAN Extreme right now...just about halfway through the program and although I haven't dropped a lot of weight I have lost a LOT of inches overall. I really enjoy the workouts....3 days of strength training and 2 days of cardio/abs. The workouts are shorter than P90X, which is good for my crazy life, but are very effective. Chalene Johnson is very motivating and makes the workouts fun. TurboFire is next on my list once I'm done with ChaLEAN Extreme, then back to P90X...mostly because I miss Tony's goofy fun style, but also because of the great results I got the first two rounds through it :smile:
  • bakerp90x
    bakerp90x Posts: 17
    Options
    What would you say is the main difference between P90X and ChaLEAN Extreme? From what I understand, they both incorporate lifting days and cardio.
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Just to throw more in the mix, although they are brand new and I haven't used them yet, there is also Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 and 6 week 6pack. The first time I did the Shred, I lost 6 inches off my body. It is a super short workout but it may be too easy for you. (I've never done P90x).
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    What would you say is the main difference between P90X and ChaLEAN Extreme? From what I understand, they both incorporate lifting days and cardio.

They're similar. In ChaLEAN Extreme you're using heavier weights with less reps to build long, lean muscle. The moves are all done very slowly so that you're actually using muscle strength to lift and lower and not momentum to swing weights up. During the Burn Phase (day 1-30) you use weights that make you reach failure at 10-12 reps. In Push Phase (days 31-60) you then up the weights and want to reach failure at 6-8 reps. I haven't started Lean Phase yet so we'll see what thats like when I get there lol. The workouts are shorter (most 30-40 minutes). The longest workout is 45 minutes and thats the Burn Intervals...that workout is no joke...lol. You do a cardio exercise followed by a very lightweight strength exercise to build muscle endurance and then back to a cardio exercise, switching back and forth until the cool down. Theres no pull ups and a lot less push ups in ChalEAN Extreme also.
  • bakerp90x
    bakerp90x Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you :) I always knew ChaLEANN Extreme was different than P90X, but wasn't sure in what way. Very informative and now I'm interested to try. Oh, if I had unlimited money and could buy all the exercise programs, haha.. They just all seem so good and fun!
  • KelRed
    KelRed Posts: 30
    Options
    I love TurboFire! I am on week 4. I have never tried P90X. So, I am not sure what P90X. I have been using Bob Harper's new dvd's in addition to TurboFire. Go to mytrainerbob.com I just got his newest dvd Ultimate Cardio Body. I just tried it today for the first time and I do not think I have ever used "that kind of language" when working out. You can get his complete collection of The Inside Out Method for $35.99. He also has other ones for about $15 each. Hope it helps :)
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I've done a few rounds of ChaLEAN Extreme and am currently changing things up by subbing in Insanity workouts on the cardio days, while still lifting three times per week with ChaLEAN.

I think that no matter what you choose, as long as you have three days of challenging strength training and cardio on the alternate days, you'll still have an effective program.
  • missmaya24
    missmaya24 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I think once you finish P90X, you might not enjoy the Shred. It's not at the same intensity level as P90X. I think Shred is good to prepare you for P90X.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    If you like kickboxing choreographed moves then you'll like Turbo Fire. Insanity is sports drills and is great for a high cardio burn. I love the P90X and Insanity hybrid that I'm doing. It's the best of both worlds and my stomach has improved a great deal since doing Insanity.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I think once you finish P90X, you might not enjoy the Shred. It's not at the same intensity level as P90X. I think Shred is good to prepare you for P90X.

I dunno. I've done all the programs mentioned by the OP and p90x was tough for the lifting, but not for cardiovascular work (except plyo x). I went back to the shred after p90x and still found it challenging

If you want a big change I wouldn't do the same programs twice. The shred would be a nice way to keep your p90x tone while shredding some fat. I would combine it with banish fat boost metabolism and no more trouble zones (each also 10 bucks) for best results). Other than 30 day shred, I would say insanity (strengthened my core) and Brazilian butt lift (transformed my butt!) were the programs that really got me bikini ready.
  • jeninne
    jeninne Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Beach Body also has on their website a hybrid of TurboFire and P90X. It gives you the weights with a variety of HIT training etc. Check it out. http://www.beachbody.com/category/p90x-online/worksheets.do