Advice on exercise please

Options
Hi,

I'm into my 2nd week of MFP & I'm looking for some help with what exercises to do, I currently have a leg ulcer and its hard weight bearing on it atm, I'm a little cut up about this because last week i enjoyed the exercise so much, I could almost cry. I'm pretty new to all this calorie counting and exercise regime, so any thoughts and suggestions on what upper body exercises I could do would be very much appreciated, and also how would i blog my exercise if its just upper body.

Sarah :frown:

Replies

• calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    easy walking...do you have access to a pool? that may also help!
  • irisbear
    irisbear Posts: 14
    Options
    Not sure if this will help, but what about swimming? You get a great impact and it is definitely low impact...
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Walking burns makes my leg ulcer burn like crazy, and swimming is not an option because i have to keep it dry :(
  • mrstrouty
    mrstrouty Posts: 15
    Options
    What about riding a stationary bike? It's low impact, so you wouldn't be putting alot of weight on it. Good luck, I hope you feel better soon :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    upper body can be fun. I always say push ups! Then planks, although I am not sure where the ulcer is and if it wil be affected by a plank.

IF you cannot do a full out push up, no worries. Start on the wall standing up straight, or on the stairs in your home.

I began with push ups after entering a thread here "100 push ups" It was a group of women working that program. I just stopped in to say hi, and express my love. Real life, normal mothers doing push ups! I could not believe it.

Well one of the girls challenged me to do one! Holy cannoli, no way Batman! A push up? ME?

I asked my physical therapist how I could accomplish this and she showed me the wall pushup. Then turn around and put your elbows on the wal and do a reverse push up. Awesome!! I could now do a push up!

Then I worked my way further from the wall, then onto my knees on the ground and then I did a full out pushup.

Man, I go on and on don't I :laugh:

I am starting tomorrow to do my morning upper body workout, 20 minutes, before I go to work.

Join me?

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Walking burns makes my leg ulcer burn like crazy, and swimming is not an option because i have to keep it dry :(

Fitty, my mom had them. Horrible pain they cause. So sorry you are feeling this :cry:

Please don't give up! You can work the upper body with so many different exercises:glasses:
  • joannajohnsonrn
    joannajohnsonrn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am currently in a similar position, I have an open wound on my leg from a biopsy that is going to take months to heal.
    I love running and have not been able to for the last few weeks, and it is driving me crazy.
    I am trying to nurture my leg, so it can heal fast. The doctor says exercise is ok, just gentle at first then work up to more vigorous. I am extremely cautious because I do not want to tear any new healing, afraid to set back my healing time.
    I am also a nurse, so knowing both sides to the issue, which has been a double edged sword! :)
    Here are some rules I have given myself:

Low impact exercises like a stationary bike, yoga and gentle upper extremity weight training.
    There are some good Wii games like Wii Sports, Biggest Loser, Wii Fit that have some good low impact exercises and mild aerobics. Modify your running and jumping to meet your needs. Example jumping jacks where your arms are making the movements and and you step one leg out/in motion. Jump rope where your arms are making the movements, but your legs are on the ground and you bend down/up.
    Burning 200 calories is better than burning none, right? :)

Good luck, and I hope you heal fast!
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    Options
    upper body can be fun. I always say push ups! Then planks, although I am not sure where the ulcer is and if it wil be affected by a plank.

IF you cannot do a full out push up, no worries. Start on the wall standing up straight, or on the stairs in your home.

I began with push ups after entering a thread here "100 push ups" It was a group of women working that program. I just stopped in to say hi, and express my love. Real life, normal mothers doing push ups! I could not believe it.

Well one of the girls challenged me to do one! Holy cannoli, no way Batman! A push up? ME?

I asked my physical therapist how I could accomplish this and she showed me the wall pushup. Then turn around and put your elbows on the wal and do a reverse push up. Awesome!! I could now do a push up!

Then I worked my way further from the wall, then onto my knees on the ground and then I did a full out pushup.

Man, I go on and on don't I :laugh:

I am starting tomorrow to do my morning upper body workout, 20 minutes, before I go to work.

Join me?

Jeannie

Thank you so much for sharing that and no u dont go on lol, id love to join you in your morning exercise.

Sarah :bigsmile:
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    Options
    I am currently in a similar position, I have an open wound on my leg from a biopsy that is going to take months to heal.
    I love running and have not been able to for the last few weeks, and it is driving me crazy.
    I am trying to nurture my leg, so it can heal fast. The doctor says exercise is ok, just gentle at first then work up to more vigorous. I am extremely cautious because I do not want to tear any new healing, afraid to set back my healing time.
    I am also a nurse, so knowing both sides to the issue, which has been a double edged sword! :)

Low impact exercises like a stationary bike, yoga and gentle upper extremity weight training.
    There are some good Wii games like Wii Sports, Biggest Loser, Wii Fit that have some good low impact exercises and mild aerobics. Modify your running and jumping to meet your needs. Example jumping jacks where your arms are making the movements and and you step one leg out/in motion. Jump rope where your arms are making the movements, but your legs are on the ground and you bend down/up.

Thank you for replying, hope your leg gets better soon, can i blog the exercise from the wii fit ?

Sarah :smile:
  • nikki8marie
    nikki8marie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Do what you can and keep moving. Cleaning burns cals, dancing too. Shadow boxing is fun. I love punching quickly. It makes me feel strong.
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Thank you for replying, hope your leg gets better soon, can i blog the exercise from the wii fit ?

Sarah :smile:

Oh yeah! I did the wii fit with my heart rate monitor on and burned 250 calories, the same as on the treadmill at 3.0 miles per hr. It also makes you move in a way you usually do not.