Options
What's your favorite balsamic vinegar?

Thanks
Zaida

Replies

• bonnykate
    bonnykate Posts: 123
    Options
    Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette -- I use the regular, but I'm sure the light is good too :)
  • GypsyRoaddog
    GypsyRoaddog Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    One quick guide: Vinegar is like EVOO -- the better it is the more expensive it will be. Incidentally, it's the same with nuts: Peanuts, typically the least expensive are not very healthy. At the other end of the scale are the healthiest (and most expensive) nuts: Macadamias.

Buy smaller bottles of the selection offered in your market each time You need it & see what suits You :>) Not everyone likes the same stuff; that's why there is such a selection!

gyps
  • karilynn27
    karilynn27 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Walden's sugar free/fat free/gluten free balsamic dressing, it doesn't have any calories!
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    Trader Joes: cheap, and it tastes really rich. I don't even need olive oil on my salads, just a drizzle of balsamic.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i've read rave reviews for williams sonoma's 25 year aged balsamic vinegar. i'm not a vinegar expert at all, but many vinegar lovers in the reviews say it's the best that they've ever had, or at least that it's comparable to ones tasted in italy.
  • Elise1395
    Elise1395 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Olivier's 25-Year Barrel-Aged Balsamic vinegar, which you can get at Williams-Sonoma. It is very pricey, but the flavor is robust and delicious!

As a side note: real, authentic balsamic vinegar has to be aged at least 12 years.
  • ZaidaOlivo
    Options
    hsinster also mentioned the WS one. is this it:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/vsop-balsamic-vinegar/?pkey=e|balsamic%2Bvinegar|6|best|0|1|24||1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Feature_Recipe_Rule|Top_Marketing_Billboard-_-

it doesn't say Olivier so I wasn't sure

Thanks!
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    yes that's the one! i zoomed in on a photo of it and it says olivier at the top. :) haven't ever tried it myself but the 5-star reviews may be enough for me to get a bottle someday!
  • Elise1395
    Options
    Yup, that's the one! I actually have it at home right now. When I read this post, I went to look at the brand name, and at the top of the bottle it said "Olivier". But, I bet this is just a Williams-Sonoma exclusive brand, not a commercial one.
  • Elise1395
    Options
    Haha, hsinster and me keep posting the same thing at the same time!! :) But the 5-star reviews are definitely accurate; it's really really delicious. When I first got it, I expected it to have a very strong, vinegar-y flavor. However, it's almost sweet, and has a little less bite than cheap brands....it's hard to explain the exact flavor! Very unique, though, and worth buying. I loooove making balsamic strawberries in the summer!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have a balsamic raspberry glaze which is probably the closest thing to perfect I have ever eaten. I got it in Italy, but the shop don't do it anymore! I am saving my last half bottle.....
  • GypsyRoaddog
    GypsyRoaddog Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I loooove making balsamic strawberries in the summer!

How do You go about that ??? Marinated-in-Balsamic Portobellos on the grill in the summer are great, too . . . just don't cook 'em too long :>)

gyps