Sodium

Options
I have been looking on the internet to try and find any guide for sodium and how to combat its effects with little results. I am basically wondering if there is anything I can do to reduce the effects of my sodium if I go over my daily allotted amount of 2500mg. Can I drink more water or take more potassium to help? Is there a good formula (scientific) that I can look at to help? I still struggle daily with sodium intake due to my job and busy life as we all have. Any good scientific evidence that I can do to help this? I drink my 8-10 glasses of water a day but do i need to increase that?

Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. If you find out please let me know.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i cannot answer the question... just posting to say that as far as i am aware the daily recommended max on sodium is now 1500mg in both canada and the states (the states recently redid theirs i beleive?) and even lower in some other countries *S*

not sure why mfp keeps their default sodium goal on here set as 2500. i changed mine manually to 1500 (i have high blood pressure and am determined to get it under control with food and off meds if at all possible)
  • greenfairymarie
    Options
    according to my research the best way to lose salt in the body is to use it. Sweat has the highest concentration of salt within it. So Drink your water goal, and work hard in the fat buring zone. I did this after a week of high sodum intake (4 days long of 3,000 to 4,500.. i know bad right), i woke up one morning and it felt like i poured salt in my mouth. I drank 3 glasses of water and then went to the gym. i felt better. Now i do not have any heart concerns, i just know too much salt can cause weight loss to seem non existant. the week i did this i loss NOTHING... i felt terrible. But i got back on track an have been trying to stay closer to the goal set for me, some days i am under, but some days i am over by 30 or 40 mg. I dont want to wake up like that again.

Keep the faith....

Angie
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    2400 mg per day is not the RDA for sodium. It's the maximum recommended amount that a grown man should ingest. If you are eating restaurant food, frozen foods or canned foods you are going to have a difficult time staying under 2400 mg per day. I have had to change my grocery cart entirely to stay low on the sodium, even so far as to making my own salad dressing.
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am no expert by any means but both my husband and I have high blood pressure so sodium is an issue. I cook all my meals from scratch - no package goods in my house. I use Herbox no sodium boullion for all my cooking instead of canned broth. It comes in both chicken and beef. Drink plenty of water, exercise and eat lots of colorful veggies. Look at the sodium content of anything you buy - I didn''t know but even milk has sodium - it is in everything. Who would have thought. Start reading the labels on everything. Good luck !
  • LurayneMarie
    LurayneMarie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Wow I didnt know that RDA of Sodium was reduced to 1500mg! Will change my allowance on MFP straight away! Thanks! :flowerforyou: